Girl Meets Gravity

"Dylan Hart from Greenwich village, New York City, the United States of America, the continent of North America, Western hemisphere, the Earth, the solar system, the universe. The mind of God. And in the middle of all of it, is John Quincy Adams Middle School, me and my friends, because we are the center of the universe. At least, that's what I thought."

~~~~~

Maya and I crawled in through the bay window. "What up, losers?" We greeted the Matthews, except for Auggie. We quickly took off our shoes and jumped into Riley's bed. Riley, Maya, and I pulled the blanket over our heads. "No, no, no! No doing that, girls. School!" Cory ordered, jumping onto the bed. We pulled the covers down.

"Who's gonna be my teacher?" Maya asked. "Your teacher? Whoever loses." Cory answered. "I don't believe you." I stated. "I'm telling you, girls, I'm gonna be teaching your lives to a whole new group of students!" Cory said, as he jumped off of the bed. "Do you believe him?" I asked. "Nope," Riley replied. "I can't even believe we're starting off the new year without first talking about how when we were on the subway and you took Lucas by the face-" Maya began, but I pushed her off of the bed before she finished.

I laughed. "We are not talking about that," I said. "We're kings." Riley added. "We're kings, Matthews." Maya said, jumping up. She walked over to Cory. "You don't get to tell us what to do anymore." Maya told him. "Get out." Mr. Matthews ordered. "Okay, but that was the last one." Maya told him. Riley walked up to them as Maya and I stood by the window. "Dad, you have to let us learn how to walk through life on our own two feet." Riley told him. "See ya, people!" I said.

The three of us climbed out of the window. When we started to walk, all we felt was pain. "Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow." We repeated over and over again. "Maybe we should've put our shoes back on before we left.

~~~~~~~

We arrived at school and stood on the top of the staircase in the main hallway. "Hello! It is us, the kings." Riley greeted the passing students. We walked down the stairs and Farkle walked up to us. He grew so much during the summer. Just... wow. "Hey, look at your feet. They're naked!" Farkle said, looking down at our feet. "Eyes up here, buddy." Maya told him. I nodded. "Hey, Riley, your dad gonna be our teacher again this year?" Farkle asked as we walked to his classroom door. "He said he's not." Riley replied. "I'll believe it when I don't see it." I said.

Right at the moment I bumped into a hard chest. I looked up and was greeted by a familiar set of green eyes. "Oh, hi." I greeted. I honestly wasn't ready for this. "Hey. Hi. Hey." Lucas said. "Hi." I said. I was acting like Riley would in this situation. "All summer." Maya said. "Hey." Lucas repeated. "You have to talk about it." Riley told us. "She's right." Lucas said. "Hi." I said. "Oh, hey." Lucas said. I knew Maya was right but I just didn't want to talk about it.

The bell ringed. "Glad we talked about it." I said. "Yeah, me too." Lucas agreed. "Bye." I said. "Hey." Lucas said. I guess he was confused at the moment. It was cute. He walked into the classroom and I followed him. Maya, Riley and Farkle followed behind us.

Maya, Riley and I stood beside each other and looked down. "I know it's gonna be my father." Riley said. "I can't look." I said. "Scared." Maya added. We put our hands over our eyes. Riley sighed. "Okay." She began. "Ready?" I continued. "Quick peek." Maya concluded. "One, two, three, go." We all said in unison. We lowered our hands just a bit and looked up to see a guy who I didn't know sitting on the teacher's desk with a folder in his hands.

We quickly recovered our eyes. "Did you see what I saw?" Riley asked. "Oh yeah." Maya said. "Yep-er-rooney," I said. "Then why are we covering our eyes?" Riley questioned. "Because it's gonna go away, I don't want it to go away, and it's gonna go away." I answered. We uncovered our eyes and we saw the same guy. "Y-y-y-y-ay!" Riley shouted, cheerfully. "Thank you." The unnamed teacher said, "Girls, take a seat." We jumped onto his desk. "Your seats." He corrected himself. The three of us scurried back to our seats. Which were the same as last year.