Girl Meets Semi-Formal

I was with Maya and Riley, and we were at our lockers. Riley was complaining about how Ben hasn't asked her to the school's semi-formal yet, and how Lucas hasn't asked me yet.

"It's this weekend. Ben and Lucas haven't asked me and Dylan to the semi-formal," Riley complained, as playfully rolled my eyes. I sat down on the bench by the lockers. "We're Riley and Ben, aren't we, Maya, Dylan?" Riley asked. "I don't know anymore." Maya and I replied in unison.

"Just tell me what to say. It's all over the front of my notebook." Riley said. She showed us her yellow notebook. "Riley hearts Ben 4-ever." Riley told us. "What's on the back on your notebook?" Maya questioned. "Riley and Ben, we're just friends." Riley said with a pout, "I also made one for Lucas and Dylan."

She showed us a blue notebook. "Dylan + Lucas= Love," I read out loud. I looked up at Riley. "No offense or anything, but that is really cheesy," I informed her. Riley chuckled. "Sweetie, what are you doing to yourself?" Maya asked. "It's this weekend, and the boys haven't asked us to the semi-formal." Riley said.

"Told ya. You got a problem." Maya told her. I nodded in agreement. "You did?" Riley questioned. "She did," I replied. "Have I brought this up before?" Riley asked. We thought back to the times Riley complained about this. "Yes, Riley, you've had problems before, but you haven't had a Ben problem until now." Maya said. I nodded in agreement.

"Plus Dylan and Lucas are boyfriend and girlfriend. Aren't they already going with each other?" Maya asked. "Even if they are a couple, Lucas has to ask. Or else anyone can ask Dylan to the dance," Riley explained. Maya looked over at me and I shrugged.

"And Dylan's last Lucas problem was with the whole yearbook thing," Maya told her. I nodded. Maya saw Lucas drag me into the closet last week. So she kind of figured it out. Maya then slammed her locker door closed. "Aah!" We heard Cory shout from his classroom.

"Why does he keep doing that?" Riley asked. A small smirk appeared on my face. "Lockers, blackboard. Chalk, chalk dust. Your daddy." Maya explained to Riley. "How long you gonna keep doing it?" I asked. "Till he comes out." Maya simply replied. Cory walked out of his classroom covered in chalk dust. He turned and glared at Maya.

Cory began to step forward while Maya began to step backwards. "Okay, I'm done!" Maya shouted, before running away. Mr. Matthews chased after her.

~~~~~~

"Semi-formal coming up. Young men and young women interacting. Mixing in a social situation. So, to avoid any casualties, I thought we could discuss etiquette." Cory told us, in class, "Can anyone here tell me what etiquette is?" Maya raised her hand. "No, you can't." Cory told her. Maya put her hand back down. "Etiquette is treating people politely and with respect." Ben said.

"Maya and I will demonstrate in a short play we put on before every dance." Farkle said, as he and Maya walked up to the front of the room. "It's called, 'no'." Farkle said. I giggled. I loved this play. "Miss Hart, would you do me the great honor of accompanying me to the semi-formal festivities?" Farkle asked. "No." Maya replied. "Etiquette." The two said, before they bowed.

The whole class erupted in applause. "We'll see you at the holidays for 'a Christmas no'." Farkle told us, before he and Maya returned to their seats.

"Okay, so... The school board sent me this film. It's called, 'he asked me, he asked me, he really asked me'." Cory told us. I raised an eyebrow. "This is supposed to teach us how to act at the dance?" Lucas questioned. "They sent it. I'm showing it. Your animals." Cory said. "Well, that's understandable," I said. I looked over at Riley to see her giving me a look and gesturing towards Lucas. I mentally sighed and turned to face him.