Chapter 7: Double Trouble

Taehyung felt the little grip on his neck tighten. Gukkie's eyes worriedly watched while the doctor lifted Jungkook's shirt.

"Doctor. Doctor, what will you do?" He anxiously asked.

His eyes were on his mother's exposed abdomen. His hand flew and clutched on his father's shirt. He wriggled coaxing Taehyung, who was carrying him, to move closer to the OB table.

"I'm going to check your mama's tummy."

"Why? How? Are you going to open it?"

She laughed. "No. You see this." She showed him the transducer. "I'm just going to glide this along so you can see the inside there." She pointed to the monitor. "You don't have to worry. Mama won't be hurt."

He looked at Taehyung as if to ask for a confirmation. He gave him a comforting smile and gentle rub on his chest.

"It won't hurt." Jungkook assured.

"What's that?" He asked as soon as he saw her put the ultrasound gel.

"It's a gel that will help us see and hear the inside."

"Why? Why do we have to? Is mama's stomach grumbling? Are you hungry?"

Jungkook just laughed.

"We're going to check the heartbeat."

"Mama's heart is in her tummy? But teacher said that it's here." He pointed on his chest.

The doctor chuckled.

"Not my heartbeat."

"The heartbeat of the baby in mama's tummy." Taehyung explained.

Gukkie thought for a while. Then, his face lit.

"I have a baby sibling in mama's tummy?!!" He asked elatedly.

"You're going to be a big brother, buddy."

"Is it a boy or a girl?" His voice was high and ringing.

"We won't know yet. It's still too early to know. But what do you want? A boy or a girl?"

"It doesn't matter. I have a sibling. We'll play at the seesaw. Papa doesn't have to play with me anymore."

"But I like playing with you."

Gukkie chuckled. "I have a playmate now."

"You want to hear the baby's heart?"

He nodded eagerly. His eyes were brightly shining. "I have a baby sibling."

"You're at six weeks and two days..." She started. "Oh."

"Doctor, why?" He worriedly asked.

Taehyung's eyes quickly darted to the screen. Just like the first time, he still can't understand what he's seeing. Jungkook anxiously did the same.

"I'm seeing two gestational sacs. You see? Right here. Then, this one."

"Two?" He asked in disbelief.

"Yes. And see?" She pointed at two sporadic movements on the screen. "Two heartbeats."

"Baby has two hearts?" Gukkie curiously inquired.

"Congratulations. You're having twins."

■■■

"We barely have children in each generation. Now, we'll have twins. This is the first time."

"I think it's the first for our family too. Atleast on dad's side."

Taehyung and Jungkook were in each other's arms, swaying in the middle of Jungkook's office. A few feet away from them, Gukkie was sprawled on the couch, having his afternoon nap.