Chapter 4: Hapiversary

Taehyung was already heaving when he finally reached the door of Gukkie's classroom. He held his chest as he steadied himself. Gukkie's teacher noticed him. She bowed and turned her head towards the front corner of the room. Gukkie was sitting there with his head down. His shoulders were hunched and his lips were puckering.

One of his son's classmate was in front, showing his drawing while happily chattering away. He looked at where the other parents were sitting. Five of them were requested to come to school that day. Their children will have their presentation.

The teacher paced towards Taehyung.

"We let him go last." She told him quietly.

Taehyung let out a loud sigh of relief. It would be a disaster if he didn't make it. His son will definitely be sad. Plus, Jungkook will absolutely rage. Especially since Gukkie chose him. The parent invited was picked by the children themselves. Gukkie mercilessly told his mother that he wants his papa to come that day. What he did undeservedly earned Taehyung Jungkook's glare. Who knows what he'll get if he didn't arrive on time.

"Thank you, Yeonju. Let's give him a round of applause. Last but not the least, let's have Taegguk."

Gukkie twisted in his seat. He looked at where the other parents were. His nose was reddening.

"Buddy!" Taehyung waved his hand to get his attention.

Gukkie's doe eyes immediately brightened. A wide smile formed on his lips. He quickly walked to the front, grinning from ear to ear.

"Greet everyone Gukkie and tell us what you draw." His teacher coaxed.

"Good day, everyone. I'm Kim Taegguk" He started immediately with the confidence fitting of a Jeon. "I drew my papa."

He flashed a piece of paper with a drawing on it. His papa has a circle for a head with five strands of hair sticking out of it. His torso was made of a rectangle colored with gray. He had purple pants and lines for arms and legs. His eyes were a mere dot. But he had the biggest curve on his face.

"This is my gift for my mama and papa's hapiversary."

Taehyung chuckled.

"They are going to go next week. They are leaving me with grampa because it's their hapiversary."

He covered his face with his palm as it heated.

"I drew my papa because I love him. Because he loves me and he loves mama. He hugs and kiss us every day and every night before I go to sleep. He hugs mama every time. Even at work and mama tells him no. He hugs mama when she cries. I always get sick and mama always cry. And papa always hug her and she stops crying. His hugs make her feel better. His hugs make me feel better too. He doesn't let mama bring heavy things and tells her to be careful when she holds a knife. He doesn't shout at her and always say sorry. He said sorry and kissed her cheek when he hit her with the refrigerator door. It was an accident. That's why he said sorry. He tells her the food she cooked is delicious and always say that mama is pretty. Even if she's angry and her face is like this."

He went on to mimic Jungkook's angry face.

"But mama is not always angry..."

Taehyung listened and soon, his nose started to sting, moisture collecting at the corners of his eyes. Looking back to how it was five years ago, it felt unreal. He recalled being alone every night until his father turned up unexpected. He remembered the absurdity of being escorted nervous towards that conference hall. He remembered how Jungkook looked the first time they met and how weird he felt even imagining marrying him.