[4]

Sighing, Mumbo slipped into the cabin with a frustrated frown. He was having trouble coming up with a plan to mislead the other hunters and keep the shapeshifter safe— he wasn't necessarily the smartest guy, and he had some clever friends in the corps who would see right through any plan he came up with. Nothing occurred to him that didn't ruin his life along with failing the magical who was (for now) trusting Mumbo enough to keep him safe.

Being thus distracted, Mumbo failed to notice the scene before him until the last moment. The man in his bed was.. well, not in his bed anymore, toppling over as Mumbo turned to face him and falling face-first onto the floor. He pushed himself up onto his elbows and made eye contact with Mumbo for a moment as his injured leg lay still propped up on the rickety old bed, twisting his body at an uncomfortable looking angle.

"Were you... trying to get up?" Mumbo raised an eyebrow at the magical on his floor, crossing his arms. "...No. I was trying to get some water. From this table. Right next to the bed." Another awkward silence ensued, with the man levering himself up further before glaring up at Mumbo: "You gonna help or what?"

Mumbo lifted him back onto the bed and handed him the cup of water, receiving a small thanks in return. He pulled a chair over — that also looked like it would fall apart at any moment, and really he should get some new furniture — and sat staring down at his fidgeting fingers. This is the third long silence we've had since he woke up... I feel like we should probably-

"We... need to talk, I think.." the shapeshifter sighed out, and turned to look Mumbo in the face. Mumbo nodded but didn't look up yet, and clasped his hands together to hold tightly in his lap. "About what I said before I left... I'm sorry, I didn't mean to snap at you. I don't know, I just-" The shapeshifter interrupted him, saying, "Before you start, actually, I wanted to properly introduce myself. I figure, if we're going to have a civil conversation we should at least know each other's names right?"

Mumbo finally looked up, and the two shook hands. "I'm Mumbo. Jumbo." "Grian."

"So—" Grian stretched briefly and looked Mumbo in the eyes "—Why don't we start with your little spiel from earlier. You're a hunter... who won't hunt? But that's only a recent development, right?" Mumbo sighed, again, and responded: "Yes, it's recent... I'll be honest, I don't know if it was finding you that caused it or if it was a gradual change I just didn't notice, but either way I'm glad it happened. It's just. I don't know. I've been a hunter for so long, and it had been a tradition in my family, and I've realized everything I know and believe in is from the hunters. I've been following them blindly for years and I don't think I've had an ambition beyond hunting well enough to be appreciated... because what else am I good for really?"

Grian was silent for a minute, deep in thought about how to respond. Finally he smirked and said, "Well, you're a spoon Mumbo Jumbo." Mumbo choked out a short laugh. "What? What does that even mean?"

"I may not know you well — at all, to be fair — but really. You must be pretty dense if you haven't realized. You may have been following the hunter ideologies blindly, sure, but I think what really matters is that you were able to choose the right thing in the end.." He trailed off and, without quite looking back at Mumbo, then added: "Even if you did hurt a lot of us along the way." Mumbo wanly smiled at him but wasn't quite in agreement. "I... don't think you should be praising me just yet. I haven't left the hunters yet, and I'm not so sure I'm brave enough to. I've known these people for so long, they're practically my family, and how would I explain my leaving? I just, had a change of heart after so many years, nice knowing you all, bye!" He sighed again. "I don't know."

"Anyways, I should probably let you know about what's going on in a couple days..." Grian raised an eyebrow, inquiring, "What could be happening that's of any importance to me?" "The King himself has called for a hunt for you. I don't know why, but he wants you specifically, and we're... the corps is starting the hunt in two days." Grian blinked at Mumbo, then shrugged, "And what's the problem? I'll be here, with a broken leg, not a dragon. What're they gonna do, attack me with no proof that I'm the shapeshifter?"