7 | NIGHTMARE

Jay was crouched down over Riley's lifeless body, tears rolling down his cheeks as he pressed his hands on her stomach to control the bleeding

Jay was crouched down over Riley's lifeless body, tears rolling down his cheeks as he pressed his hands on her stomach to control the bleeding. He panicked, putting more pressure when the blood kept oozing out. "No, no, no, no."

He looked around frantically, trying to find something that could help him control the bleeding or even evacuate her from the dark room they were currently stuck in. There was nothing but darkness around there, no objects or even furniture whatsoever. It was scary and it made him feel stuck. Like there was nothing he could do to save her life. The love of his life was slipping through his fingers and he was helpless.

His chest heaved up and down as he breathed heavily, letting his panic take over completely. "Riley, please, baby. Come back to me, come on." He grunted, starting chest compressions as if her heart stopped for another reason that her blood being all over the floor around them.

"Riley, baby..." He cried, eventually realizing that she wasn't coming back. He yelled and yelled, his throat strained from the volume of his voice.

Jay's snapped open in the middle of the night in the dark room. He felt his whole body covered in a shiny coat of cold sweat as his hands shook and his heart pounding against his ribcage. He looked all around him in a panic, his eyes falling on the woman laying besides him.

He exhaled deeply trying to calm his breathing but it wasn't quite working. He got up cautiously, his body shivering as he slipped out from the blankets and met the cold air. He rubbed his head and eyes while he tried to make his way to the bathroom without colliding with anything. Jay was still half asleep when he finally stumbled into the bathroom and leaned over the counter with his hands flat on the surface.

The detective hung his head down, breathing slowly before he eventually raised it to look in the mirror. Jay wasn't sure in what state he'd find his own face but as he finally grew the courage to look up - noticing his eyes void of their usual light. It wasn't really new, but he never took the time to notice it.

He splashed water on his face, letting it drip down over the sink as he hoped it would wash away the horror he just had a nightmare about. Jay still felt uneasy about the dream but he decided to head back to bed, embracing his wife in his arms. Although he refused to fall back to sleep - no way he was going through it again.

After letting out a deep exhaled, he strolled back to the bedroom. He slipped underneath the covers besides Riley, wrapping his arms around his wife to pull her to his chest. Instinctively, her arms wrapped around his waist and her head propped up against his chest. He felt her breathing slowly falling against his skin, somewhat relaxing him.

Jay concentrated on the sound, his fingers running through her hair as gentle as possible so he wouldn't wake her up. His thoughts were all over for the rest of the night, listening to her breathing as well as Aurora's through the monitor.

Eventually, the sun shone through the curtains and the light fell directly over Riley's face. Jay didn't even think to get up and close them properly because he was stuck in a trance. He couldn't help but think about how angelic she looked. It calmed him and made him feel like everything was okay.