14 | TAKE OFF

Riley walked down the stairs, rubbing her eyes tiredly

Riley walked down the stairs, rubbing her eyes tiredly. She heard giggles and whispered words as she approached the kitchen, the sounds warming her heart right away. The detective slowly turned around the corner, leaning against the wall with her arms crossed against her chest. If her heart warmed from the sounds, it completely melted from the sight.

Jay was sitting at the table with Aurora in her high chair next to him. She was eating her breakfast from her favorite plate, made exactly how she liked it - the way Jay always made it. He had his own plate in front of him, but he kept sticking his fork in her food to tease her. Aurora got caught in it each time, trying to swat his hand away or straight up eat the food from her fork. She erupted into giggles every time she succeeded, making Jay smile widely at the sight.

"Good morning, my loves." She greeted, walking until she stopped behind Jay. Riley's hand went up to Jay's head, lightly scratching his scalp. He tilted his head back so he could be able to look up at her.

His smile almost made her knees buck, "Good morning, baby." He reached up to kiss her before getting back to his original position. "This one wanted her breakfast earlier than usual." He tapped Aurora's nose lightly, making her giggle.

"Daddy!" She chuckled, trying to reach out to tap his nose too. "Mommy, I eat food!"

"Yes, I see! Daddy made all that for you?" Riley asked, pressing a kiss to her daughter's head. The little girl nodded, making her mother hum. "Enjoy your breakfast sweetie, you know daddy makes the best ones."

"He do!" The little girl exclaimed just as Jay pointed to the seat in front of him. Riley turned her head towards it, noticing a breakfast plate.

"Come eat, I'll go make your coffee." Jay said, standing up and immediately heading to the kitchen to do as he said. Riley sat down with a smile on her face, remembering that this was exactly where she wanted to be for the rest of her life.

-

"So, I was thinking about heading to the hospital at some point today, just to see how Nate is holding up." Riley told Jay. It had been days since they closed the case and she didn't hear much about him since. She figured she might as well swing by, just to see how he was doing.

The couple was walking upstairs to the bullpen as they discussed when they would go by Med. Jay was just telling Riley about the possibility of asking Will some news about Nate when Adam cut them off.

"Just got a call from CFD, they're asking for you ASAP." He told Riley, handing her a note with an address written on it. She frowned, taking it from him before thanking him and walking away with Jay hot on her tail.

They rushed to the address, which turned out to be an apartment building. Riley frowned, confused as to why the fire department were asking for her on a call. It was odd. The couple ran up the few flight of stairs, getting to the apartment Adam had written down for them. Riley walked in first, as the door was already open, and headed towards Matt Casey only to see that the paramedics were working on someone.