5: The Votarist, An Actor

.

.

WARNING!!! mentions and depictions of torture

.

.

Odd.

That was Sebastian Michaelis' first thought.

Though Ravi Sinclaire showed every sign that a normal person should experience upon discovering a corpse, Sebastian's instincts told him that... Ravi Sinclaire was not all that disturbed by the dead.

Yet, when taking in the perpetrators' reaction, this should be Devanshu's first time seeing a corpse.

Or so they thought.

The devil's eyes almost glowed a deep red, but Sebastian suppressed that feeling of greed at once lest his abnormality was revealed.

Ravi Sinclaire. The Saint. Devanshu. Possessor of an untainted soul. What secrets are you hiding I wonder. Are you truly a saint... or an actor? How contradictory. A soul whiter than white yet it looked like this owner wasn't as good as the saint he was supposed to be.

If so, how did his soul remain so pure?

.

.

.

.

"No one is allowed to leave!" Commissioner Arthur Randall of the Scotland Yard ordered his men to keep everyone from leaving. The perpetrator was at large and none of them were the wiser. A corpse appeared in such a public place, right in the middle of a crowd.

Anyone in the plaza could be the killer.

The Phantomhive group, along with Ravi Sinclaire, gathered together at one side. Finnian held a cup of warm tea, offering it to the shaken votarist. "Mister Sinclaire, why don't you take a seat?" The little gardener felt as if this pretty man would collapse any time given how shaken he appeared.

"No, it's alright," came Ravi's quiet reply. "Something happened in our town so I must find out how it happened. The children must be in a worse state compared to me. I hope the others have taken them farther from the scene."

Sebastian sent a fleeting glance at the mentioned children, who were being hidden behind a group of adults. Even from such a distance, he could see those little humans whispering amongst themselves, snickering and pointing at the corpse's direction.

How to put it...

Those dirty little things were even more abominable than some devils. They didn't have any aesthetic, so to speak. What a crude way of harvesting someone's life that Sebastian couldn't help but roll his eyes. Those humans must be feeling proud of their 'accomplishments' but all Sebastian saw was a foolish way of getting rid of someone.

And Devanshu's worries regarding the children were nonexistent. How could human children whose hearts were darker than charcoal possibly be shaken up by death? The human children must be rejoicing quietly in their little circle that another emigrant had died.

On the other hand, the adults had grown more and more uneasy. After all, there should always be someone guarding the cellar where they kept the victims. The next victim must only be released on the fortnight. They already planned everything out. However, the seventeenth corpse made an appearance in public and even caused such a commotion!

What was more, how did the Scotland Yard arrive so fast?! And from the looks of it, the one heading the investigation was someone on top!

Everything had diverted from the plan.