6: The Votarist, A Butler

.

.

"As for taking responsibility," Ravi pinched Ciel's chin and forced the child to look at him. "Why not take me in as a butler? I believe that I am not at all inferior to this... devil." His sunset hues flickered towards Sebastian's smiling face for a quick second. "Exeter will be on lockdown, thanks to you and your meddling butler."

Ciel kept his temper in, not willing to throw a tantrum in front of this nutcase. "I take it that you'll follow even if I refuse."

"You really are a smart child!" Ravi exclaimed, not in a mocking way but to praise the little earl. However, Ciel himself rolled his eyes and slapped Ravi's hand away from his head.

"Have you nothing else to bring with you? If so, let's go. We'll be heading back to the earldom as soon as dawn breaks."

"Nothing else. What I need is on my person already."

The little earl gave him a scrutinizing look, still not convinced by Sebastian's evaluation of this person.

In what way did this fool retain a pure soul when he feels nothing upon witnessing the cruelty of humans?

.

.

.

.

When Finnian found out that Ravi would be going home with them, he couldn't be anymore excited. He really liked listening to him speak and the little gardener found this pretty person easy to talk to. He would listen to every word Finnian says and respond in a serious manner.

And just like Mister Sebastian, Mister Sinclaire—rather, Mister Ravi was just as knowledgeable as the head butler! All the questions Finnian asked, Mister Ravi answered each one to the best of his abilities. Whenever he lacked knowledge of a certain thing, Mister Ravi would say, 'I'll check on them later and tell you my findings, Finny.'

Meanwhile, Ciel Phantomhive crossed his legs, staring at the man sitting across in the same carriage as him. He would rather not have Ravi in the same space but had no choice since his servants appeared enamoured with this votarist the second he opened his mouth. Who knew what this man would make the others do.

"Young master," tsk, and he's quick to change his tunes, already acting like my servant. "You have been staring at me for a while now. You must have questions, considering I forced myself on you."

"... would you speak properly?"

"...?" Devanshu blinked. "Did I not speak properly just now?"

The little earl rubbed pinched the bridge of his nose. "Forcing yourself on me; that sounds as if you're harassing me, Ravi. Once others hear you, they'd think you're a degenerate fool and call the Yard to throw you in jail."

"How is 'forcing myself on you' a harassment?"

"Pfft—" Ciel's eye twitched when he heard a certain devil stifle a laughter outside. Nonetheless, this exchange of words enlightened Ciel of what sort of person Ravi was. Though he schemed and appeared to be as daft as a brush, Ravi Sinclaire lacked a bit of knowledge in certain aspects.

Take their earlier conversation for example. This fool didn't even know that his words could be mistaken for a pervert pestering someone in an unpleasant manner. Suddenly, Ciel felt like he had taken in another troublesome fellow.

For once, he expected this votarist to be a normal, capable schemer he could move across the chessboard. Turns out, Ciel still managed to find a chess piece that was a bit cracked and wild.