15: The Votarist, Acting

Original Chapters: 40~41
15: The Votarist, Acting

The oculist ponders on his own, drinking wine by himself. Somehow, his thoughts wander to something unnatural, something out of this world.

The saint's presence appears too... out of this world? As if his existence is not compatible with this realm. But Arthur finds his thoughts rather silly, and dismisses them quickly with a sip of wine.

So, so silly.

And those thoughts are buried rather quickly as the night deepens.

When the curtain arises on the Phantomhive Manor Murders.

.

.

.

.

A corpse sat alone in the room. The sight of it brought others to take in a sharp breath while some remained mute out of apprehension. In this heavy and uncomfortable atmosphere, the sound of footsteps resembled the loud drums. It coincided with the beat of their hearts, causing fear to creep up their legs.

"The night has been shrouded by something evil," a familiar voice, so soothing that it calmed their nerves. "My god has expressed his deepest regret and wishes that he could guide this poor human's soul."

The saint appeared by the entrance, dressed in his night wear. Unlike the priest's robe, the inner wear was simply a thin robe, hugging his waist and loose around his chest. The image of a saint was thrown out the window in an instant and everyone almost thought they saw a devil seducing them.

"In Devanshu's name, his will shall guide the departed soul to the lands of heaven."

Ciel, trying to act as if the corpse startled him: "..." This fool... did he forget his actual role?

"Y, Your holiness!" The stammering, strained voice of the professor shattered the silence that followed the saint's short prayer.

Everyone blinked, momentarily forgetting the dead man in the room, as if they snapped out of being hypnotized. The saint's presence had settled the uneasy atmosphere, regulating everyone's composure.

"Professor," the saint nodded in acknowledgement. "You mustn't get too close to the corpse without protection." The saint glanced at Arthur with worry, gesturing at him to take a step back. Those words were not an order but the professor obeyed without much second thought.

One couldn't help but respect the saint, especially when that pair of eyes stared at him with such concern. The warmth seeped through Arthur's bones and the oculist found it difficult to rebut. Even if he wanted to observe the corpse up close, he couldn't bring himself to walk east when Saint Ravi said to walk west.

When the oculist stepped back, the saint moved forward, stunning everyone.

However, the sound of unsheathing a blade filled the room, and before anyone knew it, the blade rested on the saint's neck. It happened too fast for anyone to react.

Only when a thin trail of blood ran down his neck did Ciel snap out of his trance. "Charles Grey, he's my guest. Retrieve your sword at once!"

The Queen's butler smiled, shoulders shrugging as if such action was normal. "Earl Phantomhive, don't you think he's quite suspicious?" Although smiling, everyone saw Charles Grey being hostile to the saint. "Even I, a capable servant, did not notice his arrival. I can hear the footsteps of those from afar yet this... holiness only revealed his presence once near.

"A saint having that sort of skill, perhaps he isn't a saint to start with. An... assassin perhaps?" To have the ability to hide one's presence from a skilled fighter such as him sounded like someone skilled in the arts of assassination. Maybe the actual saint was killed on the way, replaced by this imposter who acted quite well?