Chapter 10: Remobilized

God: Next video!

"You said something really interesting, Ayanokouji-kun. Out with it." said Horikita, raising her eyebrows at Ayanokouji. Horikita seemed to be intrigued by Ayanokouji's statement and waited for him to elaborate further.

"Are you really okay with how the study group went?" asked Ayanokouji, bringing up the thorny topic. Ayanokouji noticed that the study group with Kushida and the three idiots is still continuing. Kushida is a capable student, but she needs more help and have a lot of topics to cover so the three idiots won't be expelled.

"Why are you asking me? I was the one who proposed holding the study group in the first place. Besides, I got the feeling that you considered it
a hassle. Am I wrong?" replied Horikita.

"I think things are going to get worse with the others."

"I don't care. I'm used to it. Besides, Hirata-kun picked up most of the failing students. He knows how to study, he seems to get along with others, and, unlike me, he'll be a good tutor. At the very least, they should all pass. It was pointless to try teaching the failing students myself. We would go through this same scenario for every test until graduation. It would be pointless to try making up for their failure every single time."

"Sudou and the others don't much like Hirata. I doubt they'll participate in his study group. Most likely, Kushida can't tutor and cover all of the material on the midterm by herself. They will most likely fail."

"That's their decision, which has nothing to do with me. Besides, if they're facing expulsion, they shouldn't grumble about trivial nonsense. If they don't get closer to Hirata-kun, then they'll be expelled. Of course, my goal is to have Class D reach Class A status. However, that's for my own sake and no one else's. I don't care about anyone else. Really, if we dump the failures on this next midterm, then the better students will be left. That's what I need, correct? In that case, attaining a higher rank will be simple. Everything will work out perfectly. Besides, Kushida-san insists that we save them and I disagree. We have opposing views, so if she wants to save them, then she should do it herself."

Horikita winced at what her previous self said and remembered what she told Ayanokouji in her own universe. It was similar to what she said, and she now realized how foolish she was during her first year when she watched her alternative self on the screen.

Horikita: I'm sorry for my flawed thinking. Of course, I would rather prevent my classmates for being expelled if possible.

Hirata: It's okay, Horikita-san! I'm sure Ike-kun and Sudou-kun are happy that you actually helped them in our universe.

Sudou: Thank you again, Suzune.

Ike: Thanks, Horikita. You and Kikyou-chan saved me.

Manabu: Bad line of thinking, Suzune. I'm sure Ayanokouji would tell you that.

"Horikita, isn't that way of thinking flawed?"

"Flawed? What's flawed? You're not going to give me some gibberish about how there's no future for someone who would abandon her classmates, are you?"

"That kind of talk won't work on you, anyways. At any rate, I'll have to agree with you."

"I'm glad that we agree on one thing, but why? There's no strategic advantage to helping failures."

"There are probably very few advantages, certainly. However, it does help prevent a setback."

"Demerit?"

"Do you really think that the school hasn't considered this? They've deducted points for students arriving late or playing around during class time. Let's say these students are expelled because no one helped them. How many points do you think they'll deduct from us then?"