68. The 'Burnt' Warrior

New updates after July 12

Ambika POV

"Ambi!" He called me in a low voice. All the emotions that I have been feeling for the last five months stirred up inside me. I have missed him so much that putting that agony in words is impossible for me.

But the way he left leaving me all alone was not acceptable. He wasn't responsible for me. What if his baby died inside me?

"Ambi!"

I heard him again, this time his voice trembled a little, as if he was about to burst into tears. I tried to steal a glance of him without letting him know, but he sat beside me in urgency and rested my head upon his chest, wrapping his palm around my head. This is when I broke down into silent sobs. I was feeling his touch after months.

"Why......why did you leave......(sniffs) me like that?"

I quavered, getting engulfed in his soothing hug.

"I'm so sorry, my love. I couldn't see that spy woman. I never wanted you to betray me, and seeing you there with her, my conscience stopped responding. I'm so sorry, my Ambi!"

He gazed at my swollen belly, and caressed it lovingly. He was feeling stronger now. He must have exercised much.

"Were you.....did you.....do that with other women too?"

I couldn't resist myself from asking this question. I know that he has always been into women, but the way he had confessed his love to me seemed genuine and I really wanted to know whether or not he could deceive me.

"I couldn't even see any other girl, but you. Even my own reflection felt like you, Ambi. I have never felt like this with any other woman, perhaps he because they were doing it for money, and I was doing it for pleasure, but in your case it was love, and I realised it when I was away from you."

He confessed, his voice turned throaty with every word he uttered. I sniffed and rested my head on his tight chest.

"Our baby missed you too..... Inder."

I finally took his name, and he gasped, curling his index finger beneath my chin to make me look at him. Our eyes met, both of them were weepy, and I burst into audible sobs, embracing him tightly.

He was quavering too, his hold tightened on me.

"I'll never ever leave you both, my loves. And baby, your father loves you immensely. He does, trust him."

He cooed our baby, that must listening to him from inside my belly.

"She is a girl."

I informed him, brushing off his tears.

"How do you know, my love?"

He asked me the expected question.

"My left breast lactated first, so I know."

This is something mentioned in our ancient texts that may give an idea of the gender of unborn baby. I knew he wanted to have a daughter, and now I had gotten the chance to tell him about this.

I am feeling happy now. Luckily, no one disturbed for a long while and we could finally talk our heart out with each other.

Chitra POV

Hiding myself from everyone, I have been visiting him every night since he had died for the world. Rashmi is an evil woman. She thinks she is a master of charades, hiding herself behind the cloaks of creating replicas, she certainly cannot win over me.

I am a devotee. My mother has served Queen Sunaina, and my husband is the best spy all across this subcontinent. Like her, I had also created my husband's replica through my penance, not black magic. The man who got killed before everyone was that replica, not my Ranveer.