08 | the big bang theory

SPRING BREAK WAS NEARING AROUND the corner and I wish I could say I wanted it to come by faster than the weekend ever did. Correction: I wish that graduation month was here. It's better than getting swarmed by finals like it did last semester.

        I'd rather forget that last moment of the fall semester though.

        It started to shower this morning and I blame the off-brand George Michael for lying to my face about the weather for this week. Then again, it's been a while since Arcadia had seen rain like this so I guess I can give him credit on where it's due. However, it's unfortunate for people like me who have to walk through it to their classes.

        Rain droplets from the edge of my umbrella and I tighten my grip when I feel a sudden gust of wind, slicing at my face and the canopy nearly shoots upward. Thunder shakes the morning sky and the mist settles in the air.

        "God damn you, Douglass!" I curse under my breath.

        I check the time on my watch, my astronomy class starts in ten minutes and I'm practically in the middle of the campus. I begin to haul ass to the Science building—which is down the slick gravel path from the library. The wind picks up again and the sheet of rain slaps my face.

        I'm out of breath when I finally get inside the Science building. My wet sneakers squeak loudly as I hurry toward the elevator and press the top button. This thing takes a while and I swear that the people know, they just don't want to fix it due to "not enough funds".

       What bullshit excuse, right?

       The elevator stops on the second floor and while, yes, I could've taken the stairs but there's no way after all that running that I was going to climb them. Only thirty seconds left as I open the door and hurry inside. Dr. Scott is writing something on the chalkboard and then turns on the overhead projector, shining light on the board.

        "Ah, right on time. I knew we were missing someone," she turned to me with a smile.

        "I'm so sorry! I got caught in a little bit of traffic on the way here," I say, wrapping up my umbrella and letting the water drip on the floor. I begin to shiver although I'm wearing a comfy sweater. I know that my socks and shoes are probably done for.

        "No need to apologize, Miss Quinn," The 32-year-old woman chuckles and motions me to take my seat.

        Thankfully, no one is laughing at my misfortune for my near tardiness as I quietly sit down, preferably in the middle of the second row where I can hear her loud and clear, and shift uncomfortably into my chair. Why the hell did they make them like this in the first place? I reach inside of my backpack to grab my notebook, opening it to a fresh new page. In other news, I'm glad that wasn't destroyed by the rain.

        Dr. Scott claps her hands together, gaining everyone's attention, "Alright class, let's begin! Today, we're going to begin the topic of the Big Bang Theory—"

        Astronomy has always been the only class (well, maybe not the only one but you get the point) partially because she hardly ever assigns us homework that doesn't seem to take away our sleep than my old calculus course did. Plus the assignments at hand don't seem too difficult to do except have us look at the stars and search for the constellations. But, unfortunately, not once have we had a lecture in the Planetarium this semester. Or the last one.

         After each talking point, Dr. Scott changes the images on the screen, striding back and forth. She always had this presentation-style voice that was precise. I was dead set on not letting my mind wander back to that fateful moment at Veronica's party with Eleanore throwing me off.