12 | gravity

THE RIDE HOME IS QUIET; more like painfully uncomfortable. My eyes are glued to my hands while Eleanore stares at the road ahead of us once more. She doesn't bother with the radio or roll down the windows to stretch out her hand and feel the wind like she is gliding in the air.

        She was suddenly discontent and it bothered me more that she hadn't said a word since we left the park. Not that I expected her to. But I kinda wish that she told me about her old friend, then again it should be none of my business. I'm not sure what to say at this moment to cool down the tension except keep a close eye on her. It isn't long until we pull into the driveway next to my car. I'm unsure whether to take off my seatbelt and get out of the car or not.

        Did I say something wrong? I want to ask her but the last thing I want to do is make this whole thing about me.

         "Thank you for coming out with me for breakfast, Moggy," Eleanore says, grinning a little and she does sound a little chipper now. "And for agreeing to help me with my bucket list."

         "No worries. Are you going to be okay?" I ask. "Did I say something wrong? You haven't said a word on the way here."

          She shakes her head fast. "I'm okay, Moggy. And no, you didn't. It's nothing that you have to worry about."

         "If you say so."

         My hand rests on the seatbelt, fingers lying on the button to undo it, and step out of the car. When I'm out, I lean against the door. "Promise me you'll get home safely, okay?"

         "I promise, Moggy." Eleanore smiles warmly, drawing an "X" over her chest like she did before. I was tempted to make another joke about it but decided against it. Instead, I returned a simple smile and wished her goodnight on the way into the house, watching her leave the driveway.

          I head straight to the bathroom to take a quick shower, allowing the cold waters to gush over my head and I brush through my wet hair. The air is cold when I finally get out and swiftly wrap a bath towel around me, not wanting to look at my reflection in the mirror as I slip into my pajamas.

          Bea is waiting for me outside the bathroom, probably because she still must be hungry after she had her dinner. She meows when I step out and bows to stretch, bearing her claws. I bend down and scratch behind her ears the way she likes it.

         I lay on my bed, staring into the blue. Bea is curled up next to me for the rest of the night. Eleanore's wondrous laugh and smile rehash in the back of my mind. However, it stings watching that beautiful smile of hers disappear so suddenly after mentioning a friend. I wince at the thought.

         I yawn as I cuddle up underneath a blanket. Sometimes my depression makes me tired. And after today, I need to sleep and hope that things will be better by tomorrow. 

⋆˙⟡☾𖤓☽ ⟡˙⋆

        I never expected Allison's Café to be so busy around noon, which is the first time in years. Mostly, because it's spring break and some of the students decided to stay on campus. I sat at my usual spot by the window, almost hunched in position, the rugged texture of my jeans snagged against the rut of the table. I carefully cut a piece of my lemon pudding, an odd choice for breakfast but it also developed into an unhealthy eating habit.

        After what happened yesterday at the park—only twenty hours ago, I can only think of the thousands of apologies I want to say to her, even if she thinks there's nothing wrong. I wish Laurie was here because it would be easier to talk to her about it. Then again, she'll automatically assume Eleanore and I had gone on a date and are now having our first fight, which it isn't. I would've stayed home to bake my feelings away like last time but I'm still drained.