19 | ursa major

I DIDN'T SEE MUCH OF Eleanore the next two days. So I waited for her in the quad, hoping to see her face—the dazzling glitter art on her eyelids and cheeks. Then, I waited for her presence at Allison's Café, looking between the front door and the parking lot for a pastel green Volkswagen.

        But there was no sign of her.

        Way to go, Imogene! I mentally scold myself as I take a bite of my lemon pudding. I can't really blame her for not wanting to show up after what I told her. It just came out. I think it's gotten to the point that I can just tell anyone, "Hey, my piece of shit of a roommate took advantage of me while I was unconscious!" as if anyone would believe that at all. But some people did: Laurie and my parents.

        I vividly remember one night, watching the latest news report on NBC News Overnight, there was an ongoing story about a woman from Massachusetts named Maria Fisher who was twenty-one years old when she was gang-raped at a bar by three or four men. She eventually managed to fight them off her and reported it to the police. The story in itself had hit too close to home. The only difference was that she was conscious enough to fight back, I wasn't with mine.

        And at least, Maria Fisher had the courage and strength to bring it to trial.

        And now that Eleanore knows, I wonder how she'll think of me now. Will she continue to be my friend that I have grown fond of? Or will this be the end of our friendship and the bucket list entirely? Surely, I must be overthinking this a bit too much. Then, what was the fucking point of her saying that she'll stand by me still? I hardly slept at all last night and I did the best that I could to hide the horrifying dark circle under my eyes with my mother's concealer to not scare myself in the mirror this Friday morning.

        As I cut into the second last bit of my pudding, a flash of white light glares right through the window, nearly blinding me in the process. I shield my eyes away from the headlights of an unrecognized car pulling into a vacant parking spot near the front entrance. The headlight had shut off a few seconds later, those lights aren't Eleanore's. 

        They belong to a burgundy BMW 733i, the kind of car that only rich kids would drive. The door on the driver's side slowly swings open, revealing a tall dark-haired chic mullet guy. He's wearing a jean jacket over a plain white t-shirt, denim jeans, and what looks like a fresh new pair of Nike shoes. He saunters onto the other side of the car and opens the door. My eyes nearly widen when I see Laurie get out of the car. Her hair is in a high frizzy ponytail, wearing a bright pink scrunchie. Looks like they both decided to match today.

        The two of them are holding hands as they walk up towards the front of the café, visibly laughing. I quickly look down at my plate, trying to keep in my smile for some reason as the little bell chimes when the door opens. It doesn't take long for mine and Laurie's eyes to lock and she immediately smiles and waves at me. She says something to her beau before heading in my direction.

        "Immy! Fancy seeing you here!" she says.

        "I thought I might stop here to grab a bite," I lie.

        Laurie looks at the empty booth seat across from me. "Mind if Brian and I join you? I hardly get to see you these days before spring break."

        "Eleanore has been keeping me busy with her bucket list and, um, today is probably not one of them."

        "What do you mean?" the brunette furrows her eyebrows at me, completely puzzled.

        I feel myself sliding down as I heave a heavy sigh. "It's sort of complicated."

        "How complicated are we talking about?" she asks.