back to normal

A month later

A month had passed since the tragic events that had shattered the lives of those involved.

You had returned to your job, attempting to bury yourself in the routine of everyday life, but the weight of guilt and remorse still hung heavy upon your shoulders.

The case had been closed due to lack of evidence, but the wounds left behind were far from healed.

Tzuyu had remained silent, her loyalty unwavering even in the face of unimaginable danger. But Jihyo, dear Jihyo, lay in a coma, her once vibrant spirit silenced by the cruel hand of fate.

Every day, you visited her in the hospital, sitting by her bedside and praying for her to wake up. But each day brought no change, no sign of improvement, leaving you feeling helpless and alone in your grief.

Today was no different. As you sat in Jihyo's room, watching over her as she lay motionless in her hospital bed, a sense of despair threatened to consume you whole. But then, as if by some miracle, her eyes fluttered open, her gaze unfocused and confused.

"Who are you?" she asked, her voice barely a whisper as she struggled to make sense of her surroundings.

You furrowed your eyebrows in confusion, a knot forming in the pit of your stomach at her words.

"I'm Y/N," you replied softly, your voice trembling with emotion. "Don't you remember me?"

But Jihyo shook her head, her eyes clouded with confusion as she struggled to piece together the fragments of her memory.

It was as if the events of the past month had been wiped clean from her mind, leaving behind only a gaping void of uncertainty.

As you sat there, staring into the depths of her eyes, you couldn't help but wonder if this was a second chance, a glimmer of hope amidst the darkness that had consumed you all.

"I'm your friend. We work together as criminologists," you replied with a nod, your voice steady despite the turmoil raging within you.

You knew that the truth of what had transpired over the past month was far too painful to reveal, so you resorted to the safety of a comforting lie, hoping to shield Jihyo from the harsh reality of her situation.

Jihyo's brow furrowed in confusion, her gaze searching yours for any sign of deception. "Criminologists?" she echoed, her voice tinged with uncertainty as she struggled to make sense of the unfamiliar term.

You nodded, your heart heavy with guilt at the deception. "Yes, we investigate crimes and help solve cases together," you explained, your words carefully chosen to avoid revealing the truth of your involvement in the events that had led to Jihyo's current condition.

For a moment, Jihyo seemed to consider your words, her expression thoughtful as she tried to piece together the fragments of her memory. But then, with a resigned sigh, she shook her head, a look of frustration crossing her features.

"I'm sorry," she murmured softly, her voice tinged with sadness. "I don't remember anything."

A pang of sorrow shot through you at her words, the weight of her lost memories pressing down upon you like a heavy burden.

But you knew that dwelling on the past would only bring more pain, so you pushed aside your own feelings and focused on the present.

"It's okay," you reassured her, reaching out to grasp her hand in a gesture of comfort. "We'll figure it out together."

"I'm sorry," you mouthed, the weight of guilt bearing down on you like a leaden cloak, suffocating you with its suffocating embrace.

But as Jihyo turned to face you, her expression soft and understanding, a small smile playing at the corners of her lips, you knew that you could never reveal the truth to her. Not now, not ever.