betrayal

The following day

You entered the department, the familiar sights and sounds of the bustling office greeted you, but there was an underlying tension in the air, a palpable sense of unease that seemed to hang over the entire room.

Your gaze fell upon Sana, who looked up from her work with a startled expression, her eyes widening in surprise at the sight of you.

"Y/N, what are you doing here?" Sana asked, her voice tinged with concern as she rose from her desk to greet you.

You offered Sana a reassuring smile, though it was tinged with a hint of apprehension. "I need to speak with Jihyo," you explained, your voice soft but determined.

Sana nodded, her expression still tinged with disbelief. "Alright, I'll let her know you're here," she replied, stepping aside to allow you passage to Jihyo's office.

With a sense of trepidation, you made your way to Jihyo's office, your footsteps echoing in the empty hallway as you approached the door.

Taking a deep breath, you pushed open the door and stepped inside, closing it firmly behind you.

Jihyo glanced up from her desk, her expression unreadable as she regarded you with a steady gaze. To your surprise, she didn't seem surprised at all by your unexpected visit.

"Y/N," Jihyo greeted you, her voice calm but guarded.

You wasted no time in getting to the point, the weight of your decision bearing down on you like a heavy burden.

"I'm here to accept your offer," you declared, your voice steady despite the turmoil raging within you. "I'll help you turn Chaeyoung in and then... I'll turn myself in as well."

Jihyo's gaze softened slightly at your words, a flicker of understanding passing between you. "Are you sure about this?" she asked, her voice tinged with concern.

You nodded, your resolve unwavering. "I have to do what's right," you replied, your voice filled with determination. "Even if it means facing the consequences of my actions."

The words spilled from your lips with a raw honesty, each syllable laden with the weight of the guilt and remorse that had haunted your every waking moment.

"I've been having nightmares lately," you began, your voice barely above a whisper as you struggled to articulate the torment that plagued your mind. "About all the victims... especially Dahyun."

Jihyo's expression softened at your words, a flicker of sympathy passing across her features as she listened intently to your confession. She knew all too well the pain of losing a loved one, and the guilt that came with it.

"Dahyun was my lover once," you continued, your voice trembling with emotion. "And she was your cousin. I can't escape the memories... the guilt... the regret."

Jihyo nodded in understanding, her gaze unwavering as she absorbed the weight of your words. She knew the depths of your anguish, the torment that gnawed at your soul with every passing day.

But then, you surprised her with your next admission, your voice filled with a quiet determination that belied the turmoil within.

"I don't want to turn myself in because I'm seeking leniency," you confessed, your gaze meeting Jihyo's with a steely resolve. "I want to do it because it's the right thing to do. It's justice... and I want all those nightmares to come to an end."

Jihyo listened to your words, a sense of relief washed over her. She had long hoped for this moment, prayed for the day when you would finally come to terms with the gravity of your actions and seek redemption for the lives you had taken.