Chapter Eight B 1

Charles never stops in pursuing Suzette. He always gives her flowers and chocolates. He waits for her at the diner where she is working and walks with her to her dorm. He does every single day until his parents gets knowledge about it.

Scene opens in the dorm room of Charles Walker, a Harvard student. He is studying at his desk when there is a knock on the door. He gets up to answer it and is surprised to see his parents standing in the doorway.

Charles: Mom, Dad! What are you doing here?

Mrs. Walker: We wanted to surprise you, darling. How is everything going at Harvard?

Charles: It's been great, Mom. I'm getting good grades and I'm involved in a lot of extracurricular activities.

Mr. Walker: That's good to hear, son. We're proud of you.

Charles: Thank you, Dad. But I have something to tell you both.

Mrs. Walker: What is it, dear?

Charles: I met someone here at Harvard. Her name is Suzette and she's amazing. We've been spending a lot of time together and I really like her.

The room falls silent as Mr. and Mrs. Walker exchange worried glances.

Mr. Walker: Charles, does she happen to be...Black?

Charles: Yes, she is. Is that a problem?

Mrs. Walker: Charles, you know how we feel about interracial relationships.

Charles: I don't care about that, Mom. Suzette is an incredible person and I'm not going to let race stand in the way of our relationship.

Mr. Walker: Charles, you can't be serious. You know how those types of relationships are viewed by society.

Charles: I don't care about society's views, Dad. I love Suzette and that's all that matters.

Mrs. Walker: Charles, you don't understand. You can never have a serious relationship with a black person. It's just not acceptable in our society.

Charles: That's because people like you still hold onto outdated and racist views. I can't believe my own parents think like this.

Mr. Walker: Charles, if you continue down this path, we will disown you. You will lose everything we've given you - your education, your inheritance, everything.

Charles: I can't believe you would choose your outdated beliefs over your own son's happiness.

Mrs. Walker: Charles, please understand. We just want what's best for you.

Charles: What's best for me is to be with the person I love, regardless of their race!

Mr. Walker: Fine, have a relationship with that girl but bear this in mind, Charles, you will never receive any single support and help from me and your mother!

Charles didn't say anything.

Mr. Walker: With the crisis that's going on right now, I don't think you have any right to choose who to love!

Victoria suddenly appears.

Mrs. Walker looks at Victoria. "And who is this pretty young girl?"

Victoria smiles and stay beside Charles. "You must be Charles's parents. I'm very please to meet you both Mr. and Mrs. Walker. My name is Victoria Vanderbilt.

Mrs. Walker: Victoria Vanderbilt, we're please to meet you too darling.

Charles looks at Victoria.