Chapter Seventeen

"I must issue my challenge straight away." Anthony declared. She, Daphne, and Violet all rode in a carriage back to the Bridgerton house. Mary decided to return home for the evening. The air was tense. Daphne sat quietly looking out the window, and Delilah could feel the anger rolling off her brother.

"Anthony.." Delilah pleaded. But he dismissed it.

"I've been properly trained in the matter. I know the rules to follow..."

Violet put a hand up to silence her son, "You are not to duel Lord Berbrooke. Do you understand me?" She looked into Anthony's eyes.

Both Violet and Delilah were worried about the situation regarding the marriage license between Nigel and Daphne. But for Anthony to go off and challenge Berbrooke not knowing what he was capable of, that didn't sit right with Delilah.

"I do not care what kind of training you think you may have. It is illegal," Violet scolded.

"Not to mention positively horrific," Delilah added.

Violet nodded her head. Anthony gave a sigh, but calmed down and let his head rest against the wall.

His hand grasped Delilah's, "Gentlemen are left with no other choice, Mother."

Delilah sighed at Anthony's statement and placed her other hand on his.

He gave her a moment's glance then looked back up at Violet. "When a young woman - let alone one's sister - is rumored to be dishonored, the consequences shall be deadly!" Anthony explained.

"It is no solution," Daphne said.

Delilah felt the exhaustion wave off Daphne. She could feel it tangle with her own as her mind slipped away. She had just gotten her dream of being with Anthony and he wanted to throw it all away. Over some silly threat that a monster put forth to scare them all. She sat up in her seat and turned to face Anthony aggressively, however, her body language came off as saddened.

"Should Lord Berbrooke decide to make good on his threat before you shoot him dead, Anthony, what happens then? He may decide to open his tiny mouth at any moment, and then Daphne shall be ruined...as we all will. I will lose you."

"I must marry Nigel Berbrooke. It is the only choice." Daphne's small voice rang out.

Everyone turned to her with shock on their faces. Delilah couldn't believe it the most, however. Since the beginning Daphne had been fighting it. The threat had diminished all hope that was ever there. And with Daphne's hope gone, what hope could Delilah have herself?

— & —

Delilah watched Daphne throw bouquet after bouquet away. Her hope falling away piece by piece. Delilah had seen many sad things in her life, but she didn't ever think or know she would see Daphne sulk about the idea of marriage.

Daphne was grieving for herself.

When Violet walked into the room, Delilah nodded at her and then took her exit, waiting just outside the door. Anthony saw her in the hall and came to stand next to her.

Inside Daphne's room, Violet walked over slowly and faced Daphne. Taking her daughter's hand softly Violet led her to sit on the bed, "I have taught you to believe that marriage is the best that life has to offer, and that remains true. But it is not simply a partner that marriage provides. You will have comfort, a house to tend to, and most importantly, children. You will throw yourself into raising a family, and you will find much joy. I am certain."

Daphne let out a quiet sob.

Delilah's heart dismantled in her chest hearing the muffled sob come out of her best friend. Anthony put an arm around her and drew her close. But even his own emotions were frazzled.

"You and Papa..the two of you were so beautiful, Mama. That is all I wanted. That is all I hoped to one day find." Daphne said.

"As did I," Violet responded with a soft chuckle.

When Violet exited the room, she spotted the two and came over to give both of them. One by one she gave Anthony and Delilah a kiss on the forehead before walking down the hall.

Moments later Delilah and Anthony were alone in the drawing room. However, the tension wasn't calm, it was worryful. Delilah was worried. She was scared. She refused to let Anthony go and challenge Nigel, but she didn't know if she had the right to tell him that.

"I know you are scared, love. But it must be done." Anthony's voice cut the silence. Delilah looked up at him. She shook her head and looked away again.

Anthony felt his own heart breaking.

"No...I refuse to let you go." Tears were welling in her eyes.

Anthony removed the few stary ones that had coated her cheeks in a thin line of water. "I'm doing it for Daphne, for you..."

"No.." Delilah still argued.

Anthony sighed and drew her in close. He put a soft kiss on her forehead.

Delilah let a sob escape her, she drew her arms around Anthony's waist. "Please..don't.." She pleaded with everything in her. But Anthony only leaned down and kissed her. It wasn't rough, it was gentle. Every emotion that Anthony had formed was spoken through that kiss. Every ounce of touch and love was put forth, nothing spared.

"I will try to find another solution, but if it comes to it, I will challenge him." Delilah nodded her head as a few more tears started to stray down her face.

"Okay.." She whispered.