Chapter Forty-Seven

"Mama?" Edwina asked.

Delilah took a large sip out of her glass as she clutched Anthony's hand under the table. Her eyes found Williamson and the two had a silent conversation. An argument and the two would resolve it. This room was full of an animosity that Delilah didn't want it tagging to her.

"The trust fund we have set up for her. The condition of which clearly states that she must marry a man of good English breeding to inherit."

Delilah's jaw dropped. Anthony squeezed her hand. Williamson nodded to himself. There was shock between the three of them. Had this endeavor with the Sharma's been a ploy for money? So they would be well off? Delilah's hand was shaking, she had to put her glass down to prevent it from spilling. The truth was out, and you could see it on everyone's faces.

Lady Sheffield scoffed, "You did not think we would allow another generation to pollute the Sheffield name, did you?"

"Didi?" Edwina asked, "What are they talking about?"

"What have you done?" Lady Mary spat.

Delilah watched Kate's reaction. And felt the betrayal cut sharp. She had known, she had known and still let Williamson propose to Edwina. They were to be married and yet it was a lie. All of this was a lie.

She looked over at her ward, "Williamson, did you know about this?"

He shook his head quietly.

Kate looked at him with wide eyes, "I shall explain everything."

Lady Sheffield looked at her with mocking eyes, "I see this one has inherited your penchant for avoiding the truth. Or maybe that's something she inherited from her father."

"That is enough." Williamson spoke. He looked at Lady Sheffield with a glare so deep Delilah would not have been shocked if the woman split in half. Williamson took a breath, "I can only think you've been exiled from good society because of your deficient manners rather than any other sin. Since the moment you arrived, you have failed to show the proper respect for the Sharma family, and I will not stand for it."

Lord Sheffield gave him an incredulous look, "I declare-"

"I will not," Williamson spat, "Stand for it. Lady Mary has done admirably in raising her daughters. They are intelligent, kind, loyal women. And a credit to both their parents. Since you clearly do not wish to jeopardize your social standing by association with such a company, I suggest you do not. You may leave at once!"

He slammed down his napkin and got up. He walked to the exit and called for the Sheffields carriage in spite of them. Delilah assumed he was furious for the deal that had come to light. She was too, but she had to admit. They were entirely disrespectful. She was proud of the man who had become a second brother to her.

With one last sweet smile, Delilah looked at the old couple, "Do not trouble yourselves for an invitation to the wedding. You shall not receive one."

"This is beyond the pale." Lord Sheffield stated, "If you think you shall inherit a single sovereign now, you are sorely mistaken."

Delilah watched as they walked out. Remaining were the Sharma's, Delilah and her entourage, and Lady Danbury. There was a tense silence. Delilah stood with Anthony and walked over to Williamson.

"Lord Aevery, Lady Silvester," Lady Mary said, "I must apologize-"

"We should also take our leave." Delilah said.

Anthony came to her side, "Yes."

Williamson looked around the table before letting his head fall back, "Thank you for the evening, Lady Danbury."