Chapter Forty-One

Williamson was invited to the palace. Engaged to the queen's diamond of the season, he was requested to make an appearance and he did. When he walked in, Kate was there. But, he didn't let her stop him.

Out of sight, out of mind.

"Lord Aevery," The queen smiled, "We thought perhaps you'd not be joining us."

Williamson bowed before her, "Your Majesty. Nothing could keep me from my beautiful bride." He leaned down to kiss Edwina's hand, then took his seat next to her. Kate walked in soon after, and Williamson almost couldn't keep his eyes off her.

"Now, tell me about your wedding plan. There is no talk of a special license, I would hope." The queen said.

Small laughter broke out through the group.

"Of course not, Your Majesty," Lady Mary Sharma said.

Williamson smiled, "I believe a modest family affair would be most fitting. Perhaps at my home in the country, Wynrett Estate."

"In the country?" The queen asked, "No, that will not do. You must have it here in town. In fact, I shall host the nuptials myself."

Williamson took a breath at the queens statement. He nodded his head, "That is most generous, ma'am. But, not at all necessary."

The queen looked at him, "Nonsense. She is my diamond, after all. It is only right that I give you both a wedding worthy of that title. Maybe I shall extend the same honor to your sponsor, Lord Aevery. Besides, one could almost credit me myself with bringing about this most illustrious match."

It was then Williamson realized he would not win the argument. So he sat quietly, his eyes flashing over to Kate, again. Though, he didn't let himself stare for long. He would remember everything and ruin his engagement.

"Can you believe it, Didi? It is like a fairytale come true." Edwina smiled.

Kate smiled at her sister, "You deserve nothing less, Bon."

"Nothing less for a true love match." The queen smiled.

Kate's teacup clattered in her hand, everyone tensed and looked at her. She took a breath, stilling the rattle, "My apologies, Your Majesty"

Williamson looked over to Edwina and smiled at her. Then his eyes looked back over at Kate. He swallowed. He needed to control himself.