Get To The Bottom

Jay's POV:

Jumping up, I moved to Gifford who was closer and felt for a pulse, of which he had. He stared blankly forward at me and when I moved to check on Lomen, he was the same way. There's a rasping noise which as I turned, I found coming from Destinee. Then she fell to her knees, her eyes no longer glowing while coughing her lungs out. I crouched down to help but a growl sounded dangerously close by and when I looked up, I saw Gifford watching me with a murderous glint. I stared him down, reminding him of who he just growled at before flashing my eyes. His eyes didn't leave mine, but the murderous glint was gone, and he now stared at Destinee who finally seemed to be able to catch her breath. I looked up to see my possible mate watching us with a pained expression, so I stood up looking around confused, growing angry and worried.

"What was that." I didn't ask, I demanded, and I have every damn right to demand it.

No one answered, all just staring shocked at Destinee and my possible mate.

Jay... I don't know if I just imagined it or if it really happened.... But you and Tori and...

Lomen sounding panicked is never a good thing and as I look at him, I could see he was pale and staring at his hands zoned out. Who the fuck is Tori? 

Gifford, speak.

We have to kill Noah.

Taking a couple of deep breaths, I run my hand over my face, closing my eyes and clenching my jaw. None of that tells me what the hell is going on. Glancing back to my possible mate, I see her watching me with wide eyes, sobbing quietly with her hand on her stomach.

"If I tell you now, I get punished... but if I tell you later then we're all dead." The beautiful girl's voice sounded so painful that all my anger disappeared, and she had my full attention. I watched her confused as she looked at me with conflicted tearful eyes.

"What?" Moving closer to her, I picked her up, sitting her on my lap once more. Her sobs grew louder and louder, her whole-body quivering as she clenched my shirt in her hands. What happened? My chest tightened with worry seeing her this way so I did the only thing I could do and held her tighter.

"Talk to me." I begged, I didn't ask or demand, I'm begging her because seeing her like this is tearing me apart from the inside out.

"I- I can't. I- I don't know wh-..." She gasped for air before shaking her head, crying harder.

"I can't b-breathe!" She cried, panicking so instead of talking, I tucked her closer in against me and rubbed her back, trying to ground her so she could calm down enough to breath and explain what's going on.

I looked up to see both girls crying while staring at my possible mate with a terrified look. My men just stared at me, taking deep breaths. It's easy to see whatever just happened scared the shit out of them and somehow, according to Gifford, it's connected to Noah.  What the hell did she just do to them?

"We're here." My brother in-law called after opening the little slide window that leads to the front. He was the one who drove us home.

"Thank you, Nane. Tell Peirce to park my truck at my cabin." I responded, still too caught up with what just happened to properly thank him. My possible mate had calmed down significantly, only slight hiccups and her balled fist that still clung to my shirt, an indicator that she hasn't yet calmed completely.

"Alright... We're all gonna talk about what the fuck just happened when we get inside. Gifford, Lomen, lead Destinee and..." I stopped looking at the other girl before she smiled and shrugged. 

"My wolf calls me Harper." I nodded before looking back to the men. 

"Lead Destinee and Harper to the guest rooms, get them changed and then meet in the meeting room in about an hour: I'm gonna get her to calm down a little more. Link Lex to come check on the girl's physical states and Mom to check on their mental states. You're getting checked too, Lomen. I'm not sure how you didn't die out there or how the girls healed us."

 Everyone nodded, and I felt the girl's grip slowly growing weaker and weaker. By the time everyone was out of the vehicle, my possible mate laid asleep in my lap, head in the crook of my neck. Whatever just happened scared the life out of her and I don't want that happening again. It's time to get to the bottom of this. Before that though, I need to call the retired doctor. 

Pulling my phone out carefully to not wake her, I ran through my contacts searching for his name. When I found it, I clicked it and waited for the ringing to stop. 

"Alpha." The old man started, always the proper one. 

"We need to talk. You said I had no mate, right?" I whispered, looking down to the girl in my lap who had possibility to be my mate. 

"I did. I knew this day would come. Do you want me to explain, or do you want to ask first?" He sounded as though he saw this day coming years ago. My mood soured a little, but I nodded. 

"Explain." 

"In my vision, I saw you searching for your mate. You started at sixteen and you never stopped, neglecting the alpha's responsibilities and ultimately never finding her because she was in the facility of some sorts. In this vision, she died at the age of nineteen. Your mate was held somewhere that you'd only find if you were working and doing the things the Alpha needed to do so I lied in hopes that you'd run the pack successfully and stumble across her one day. I knew time was ticking but the only way I could lead you to find her was if you thought you never had one in the first place. I'm assuming you found her?" I felt my head pulsing from a new headache while my anger sparked. He knew this whole time and didn't say anything. I know he had his reasons, but it still pissed me off. 

"Yes." I grinded out, staring heatedly at the van wall. 

"Good! Then it worked." As soon as he finished, the call cut. I growled, dropping my phone as to not break it. He had good reasons, but he still lied to my face. 

Looking down, I stared at my mate and wondered how the hell I'm supposed to finish this case without personal feelings getting in the way.