part II, ch. 2-3

ch. 2- reunion

Ain't No Rest for the Wicked
by Cage the Elephant

"Oh, no there ain't no rest for the wicked,
until we close our eyes for good."

🌳🌿🍃

Gandalf's pov

Gandalf stroked his beard as he and Elrond met eyes over the guests arriving at the council. He gazed back at the empty chair, worry clenching his heart and desperation clinging to the blood in his veins.

He stood from his seat and trudged past Boromir, who was watching the wizard carefully. The hobbits, as well as some others attending the council, were confused at Gandalf's actions and poor body language, equally confused on why Lord Elrond seemed to be mimicking it.

Gandalf passed Elrond, and Elrond took his signal to follow the wizard. They stepped out of the intricate doors to the room, stopping only where Gandalf deemed completely out of earshot.

"She would not lie to me, Gandalf," Elrond started. "She made her promise. She tied her word to her allegiance to me."

The wizard nodded, pulling out and packing his pipe for the infinite time today. His eyes seemed unable to focus, darting quickly between the halls and trees of the kingdom.

"Frodo told me she brought them to that ragged old Pony. She is alive, I can feel it," he spoke in a whisper. "It has been too short of a time for her to get far enough to still be making the trip here."

"Is she hurt?" Elrond questioned.

Gandalf's glazed eyes stopped their frantic movements, landing on the elf in front of him. "I cannot feel her."

Elrond swallowed hard. Gandalf had spoken to him recently about how her presence in his mind was darkening, how her normal, crisp like aura allowed him to feel her from the farthest lengths. But a fog had crept upon that aura inch by inch throughout the past few weeks, startling Gandalf and Elrond.

For it to simply disappear shook Elrond to his core, and was obviously doing the same for Gandalf. They knew the darkness that she carried was far beyond their understanding, and they knew the day would come that she would have to fight it for a final time. What they are now finding is that she truly is connected to the darkness spreading now- and the Ringwraith she defeated while escorting the hobbits only showed them just how powerful she was.

For her to even be able to stand in a battle against a Ringwraith was a frightening feat- much less defeat one, as the hobbits had explained to them. They were 'alive' to kill and retrieve, their only purpose for continuing on Middle Earth. Her blades hurt them. She was not just able to touch them without going through the haze of their bodies, but she defeated one.

Elrond shook the thoughts out of his head. He played with his hands. "What else is it?"

Gandalf began to settle down, blowing out the smoke from his pipe. He turned back towards the doors, motioning this time for Elrond to follow. "I dreamt last night of Prince Legolas of Mirkwood as well. It seems as if I am finding clue after clue, yet unable to understand if these clues even have a desire of being put together."

He stopped before the doors and sent one last gaze to Elrond. "I believe we need her council in this. But for us to push it back a few days would only lead to anger amongst the others. We must move on."

Elrond nodded, a nervousness twisting in his throat. The two powerful beings strode into a full room, and Elrond begun.

-----