Unexpected Plans and Convertsations

Ever since we fought Wilhelm, things have not felt the same in terms of fighting and combat. For me, my perspective of Pandora changed. We really aren't the toughest thing out here. We aren't that special. We need to stop acting like we are. It was the fact that we had almost died, because we don't know how to function as an actual team. Sure, we're all a family for each other, but we've seem to have split into groups, not really recognizing that we have to all work together when it comes to the big fight. I've come to a realization that we really have to work as a group if we wanna survive and we unfortunately had to discover that just before it was too late. Axton was right to have said that the group needs to formulate some sort of strategy and not just run into battle blind. Of course, I wasn't wrong when I had said to let us think for ourselves sometimes, but we have to watch each other's backs. We are all that we got on this god forsaken planet.

We had been on the road for a couple hours, the harsh winter weather conditions setting us up for some minor setbacks in our journey home. We ended up staying the night at a shitty motel I didn't bother to know the name of. I was exhausted, my mind full of thoughts, and I wanted a moment to sit down alone with them.

I lay back on the bed, staring up at the stained, cracked ceiling. I still can't process that fight we had earlier today. How, how did we manage to kill something that almost killed Lilith AND Roland with minimal damage? Something just didn't add up. I raise my wrist to look at my ECHO watch.

No messages.

It didn't surprise me that Jack didn't speak to me after today's events. He gets busy doing whatever he does. He's a villain that is actually both talk and do. He does run a whole company after all. Of course, as him and I have our own thing going on, He still finds it amusing to throw a wrench into the rest of our plans. He claims that it's "nothing personal". I started to believe him, even after today. I just hope to expect that to turn around and slap me in the face for having such belief however.

I decide to message Jack, out of pure curiosity.

Me: Hey, Jack. How's your day been?

No answer. I wait a couple minutes, checking my watch anxiously every 30 seconds or so, hoping that he'll answer me soon.

My watch buzzes, and I instantly look at the message.

Jack: Hey, Pumpkin. Things have been good. You enjoy your little encounter with my robocop? XD

Me: About that...I wanted to talk to you about today. Something doesn't make sense to me. We were able to defeat Wilhelm, but Lilith and Roland can't? There's no way that all of us combined are stronger than a siren... I'm obviously missing something here.

I wait for a reply, in which I watched the bubbles on the screen as he typed for several minutes.

Jack: Ah, that. It's not so easy to explain. First off, I poisoned him so he didn't perform to the best of his capabilities. Basically, I needed you and your vault friends to kill him off for a reason. Here's the not so easy part to explain: I have a plan that involves you using that power core for Sanctuary.

As I read the message, he seems to be typing out another message. I wait a couple moments after finishing reading his recent text, anticipating how this will go.

Jack: I'll tell you whats gonna happen. Because I want to, and because I know you'll have to know eventually.

Jack: I'm gonna sabotage Sanctuary's defence systems. Of course this has to do for my personal gain you, know how it is. I just need to push the vault hunters off my priority list for a while.

Me: How is this power core gonna do that? I cant imagine a power core having that kind of capability to shut down a shield on its own.

With that, Jack didn't answer afterwards. I go to try and keep the conversation going, when all of a sudden I hear commotion coming from outside the door. I get up to investigate the situation. When I open the door, I see Lilith outside Axton's door. They seem to be having an argument. "Look, all i'm saying is I don't understand why it needs to be so urgent that we install the power core right away." Axton says defensively. "You don't need to understand, you just need to follow orders! I knew I should have just came to grab you guys instead of waiting for you to get back." Lilith barked back. The commotion was enough to get the attention of the others, all of them appearing one by one out of their rooms. The two arguing notice, and abruptly stop talking. During this, I step out of the door frame and walk towards them.
"What's going on? Why are you here Lilith?" I ask, trying to keep the conversation civil. Lilith sighs. "You guys were supposed to make your way back to Sanctuary immediately after your mission. I don't know why Roland didn't emphasize on that, but Sanctuary's is dependent on that power core!"
"The team needed rest. I ordered the group to lay back, they wouldn't have made the trip without it." Axton spoke up, defending the group for doing their best. Lilith says nothing back, and glares at Axton. I look at everyone else. They all look exhausted. After a long pause of silence, Lilith speaks up. "Look, if you choose to lay back, do it. I couldn't give two shits." She continues, leaning in closer to Axton's space. "But when a superior gives you an order, you should be making that your first priority." She intimidates.
"Lilith, cut us some slack, we just fought Wilhelm." I testified. She snaps her head at me, an offended look appearing on her face. "Get used to it, kid! Pandora's not some sort of wonderland." She scoffs, and storms off. A couple feet away from us, she takes off using her powers, a set of fiery wings slowly fading off into the distance.

I look over to Axton, who is already looking at me. "You okay?" I ask. Turning my body towards his general direction. "Yeah. Just...I don't understand what her problem is." Axton concedes. "Shes just wanting to have priorities straight, but shes trying too hard, and becoming aggressive over it." I say, trying to put it lightly.  Axton says nothing and just sighs, folding his arms. I look at the group, they all seem to look dreaded or sorry that Axton had to put up with her just now.

I lean in and give Axton a hug. He could really use one. He clenches up at first contact and I tell him to relax and calm himself. He forces his body to loosen up, and the rest of the vault hunters follow suit and join in on the hug. "You're doing your best, Axton. Don't forget that." Maya says calmly. The hug eventually unravels itself, us appreciating the moment. "We all, are doing our best. Don't let Lilith let you think otherwise." Axton concluded. "First thing tomorrow, we will return back to Sanctuary and have that power core installed." With that, we all fall back into our rooms.

I plop onto the bed tummy first. I give a glance over to my watch.

Nothing.

I wonder what Jack is hiding, something so crucial that he wont share with me. I just hope that whatever he's avoiding to tell me, wont end up being the death of us. Or worse.