Chapter-8 School Trip to Kyoto

We were playing cards when Cassie's mom brought us a bunch of snacks and sweets to eat, they were delicious. One of a kind I must say. We were eating snacks and playing games when I finally looked at the clock. It was getting pretty late. By the time we departed from Cassie's home, it was already sunset. I didn't bother hurrying back home because I already was this late, a little more would be nothing. If I am going to get scolded even if I hurry, it's better if I take my time.

It took me about til after sunset completely to reach home. I opened the door, but nothing happened. I half expected a frying pan to be thrown right at my face but instead, there was nothing, except the sound of the TV, the house was completely silent. I dropped my bag at the door and called her name, but there was no response. I walked towards the living room, I kept calling for her but there was no response.

When I reached the living room, I saw her lying on the floor unconscious. I hurried towards her and tried to wake her up, but she didn't. I ran to the kitchen to get a glass of water to sprinkle some on her face. This scene reminded me of the time when Grandpa died, I was slowly losing my calm. I sprinkled some water on her face and she slowly woke up. She seemed weak and feeble.

"What happened?", she asked slowly

"You somehow fainted in the living room."

"Did I?', she sat up,

"How and why did you faint?", I asked her

"Just skipped a meal.", She glanced over at the clock, "You are late again, huh?"

"Sorry. Cassie didn't come to school today so I and Charles had gone to check on her, and while we were there we played a few board games and all.", I explained

"Alright,", Mom tried to stand up but fell down, I caught her and helped her sit down.

"Don't stand.", I warned her, "You need to rest. You should take a leave from your job for a few days and rest.". If I never told you before, I was raised by only my mother and grandpa. I have never even seen my dad nor do I know who he was. That's why she works a job, not a lot just one but that's still a lot considering she also takes care of me and considering how much of a pain I am.

"But, there's a lot of work left. I also have to cook food.", she said, but she still sounded weak.

"No, I will cook food today. You are going to rest."

"But-"

"No buts, I will be the one cooking today I will make something for the both of us."

I got Mom a glass of water and a bar of chocolate from the fridge to give her that little energy. I then proceeded to make something that she would like. I had made food a lot of times when mom wasn't home, so I knew how to cook well. It took me about an hour to make the food. I made omelet rice for both of us, it was mom's favorite food and I liked it quite a lot as well.

I presented it in front of Mom for the testing, it had been quite some time since I last cooked so I was nervous that my skills had degraded. But thankfully she said that it was great. I tasted it myself for the confirmation and it indeed tasted good. Mom and I both finished the dinner at the same time. I insisted on taking away and washing the dishes, but Mom scolded me and about it, and I had to back off and retreat to my room.

The first thing I did after coming into my room was to check the book. I slammed it on the table, sat on the chair, and started reading it. I could now open up a lot more pages than I could before. I guess the book will open up the pages based on my level or proficiency or something like that cause' even after now that I am adept there were still several pages that I couldn't open up. Meaning I was still now strong enough to open them.