IX

When Taelyn awoke again in the afternoon, she finds Heeseung sitting on his dinner table, staring down at the flat surface

When Taelyn awoke again in the afternoon, she finds Heeseung sitting on his dinner table, staring down at the flat surface. Before going forward with any interaction, she takes time to observe him.

He was idle, unmoving. It was as if he was frozen like a statue. She was surprised he didn't notice her since he is hailed as an amazing sniper, so his environmental awareness should've been alarming right now. "Good morning," she announces her presence, searching for a reaction.

He doesn't answer her.
Sighing, she quietly approaches him. The more she got closer and closer, the more noticeable why he did. By the way his eyes were widely open and puffy, it was evident that he hadn't slept since his confrontation with his boss.

He didn't seem so affected by it while it was happening, so why did he look so down right now?

She sits beside him. Today, she woke up in a very good mood. She didn't know how much Heeseung was sacrificing for her until Bossman invaded the house, and she felt grateful for Heeseung. Maybe she could forget the fact that she was kidnapped by him for the time being.

Although he was a ruthless murderer, Taelyn had a small feeling that maybe he wasn't so bad. Since, after doing him dirty all those years back, he was still protecting her. She felt indebted to him, "Heeseung, I just wanted to say—"

"Leave me alone." He refuses to look at her even after his cold, dominating statement.

Both surprised and confused, she stares at him. She continues nevertheless, "That confrontation must've been scary. Are you okay?" She raises her hand up to pat him on the back when he suddenly grabs her wrist, scaring her.

"I told you to leave me alone," he grits his teeth. He finally looks at her with eyes full of rage. He had been in a bad mood since last night, and spent all night thinking how much Taelyn ruined his life.

If he had never met her, things would've been so different. Things would've been better for him.

She opens her mouth to consolidate him, but her words are replaced with a sound of pain as he continues to squeeze her wrist. Fearfully, she winces, "Heeseung, you're hurting me."

The way he went from not touching her previously to now manhandling her was so abrupt to her. In response to her fight or flight, she attempts to shake him off. "I am Lee Heeseung. Hawkeye Casanova. The esteemed soldier who never drops his weapon first. How dare you impact my life like this?"

"Heeseung..."

"Because of you, my friends and I will suffer. You know what it means when a mission is taken from a mafia division and handed over to someone else? It means that you and your team are put under probation and are at risk of getting kicked out of mafia. Do you know what happens to mafia members when they get kicked out? This is the first time this has happened to my division. ENHYPEN's name has been tarnished, I should've just killed you that day." The way his voice slurred after each sentence meant he was still hungover.

It didn't take long for tears to begin forming in her eyes, both from the pain and from the harsh words. "It's... not my fault," she curses her voice for shaking.

"It is your fault," he hisses. His eyes were red as if he was ready to kill her at this very moment. "You've caused me suffering. You broke up with me and left without giving me a proper fucking reason, and now you frolic your way back into my life and think you can act all ditzy now?"

Taelyn attempts to yank his hand off hers, but her strength was no use against a trained mafia soldier. For whatever reason, she thinks now is a good time to throw more wood into the fire as a way of defence, "Of all the things that hindered me in pursuing my career, you were the only one I could throw away!"

He suddenly flashbacks to when they were 17 the day Taelyn dumped him and how heartbroken he was. "You are a terrible person," he whispers in disbelief.

"I was seventeen!" she frustratedly yells.

Heeseung searches her eyes, wondering if she was being completely serious. "But so was I," he coldly replied.

Realizing that he was right, she begins to speak recklessly. "You mean nothing to me," she coldly informs him.

"Back at you, bitch. I'm only on your side because it was my mom's last wish before she died—"

"Heeseung!" she stands her ground and yells at him. Him bringing up his mother was her last straw.

The sentence snaps him back to reality and his eyes widen, quickly releasing the grip he had on her. He reverts back to his usual self. It takes him a long moment to be able to say something again. He swallows, "I may have overstepped."

She couldn't look at him anymore. Her other hand moves to comfort her pained one. "It's okay." He wasn't entirely wrong, after all.

She now questioned if he had bipolar disorder because of his sudden mood change. It was quiet for a bit before he asks, "Do I really mean nothing to you now?"

She thought about it for a bit. If they both ever got together, that wouldn't be a good look on her. She wanted a normal life, Heeseung's was everything but that. Now wasn't the time to be honest with how she truly felt. She shook her head, "No. I'm sorry."

"That's all I needed to hear," he closes his eyes as if his world just shattered. He gets up and walks away from her.

It wasn't that he still loved her, it was more so that she didn't seem to show any remorse for what she did to him. When she broke up with him all those years back, she didn't give him good nor specific reasons and simply left him hanging for the rest of their last year in high-school.

He hated that he didn't know what he did wrong, and she made it feel like everything he did was wrong. It hurt that he meant nothing to her. Defeated, he lets her get up and run away from him and back into her room.

She sobs in her room, wishing that she could run away from him. That she could run away from the past. Her youth came back to haunt her and every horrifying way possible.

She hated how she couldn't leave.