Chapter One: The Proposal

Lily Mayfield
May 20, 2024

Early in my life I discovered my passion for baking. From the time I was ten I had my heart set on opening my own bakery. My adoptive parents had endless connections and resources but I was determined to make a name for myself without their help.

When my boss, Mr. Winslow let me fill in for the week as a pastry chef, I was ecstatic. It was finally my chance to prove myself. But now, I don't think I've regretted anything more in my life.

Was this how my career would end? Would Mr. Winslow tear me apart? How are Mother and Father going to react to having a complete failure for a daughter?

I frantically paced around the cafe's kitchen trying to fix the mess I made. Trays of burnt pastries and dirty dishes scattered the counters.

I would have to clean and remake all of the desserts by 6:30am tomorrow in time for shipments.

"Uncle Hank is not going to be happy." He swished his hand around to rid of smoke.

I screeched in fear. Oh my goodness. Rocky Winslow.

He would be taking ownership of the cafe once his uncle left the country, meaning he was my soon-to-be boss.

I saw him three times a week for the past six months and this is the first time he's ever spoken to me. Probably the first time he's ever even noticed me for that matter.

I however, noticed him the first time he walked into the cafe with a devilish look in his eyes and a pure smile to make up for it.

He looked so good tonight in his classic blue hoodie and dark blue jeans, small detailed jewelry adorned his fingers, ears and neck.

Of course, I looked like a complete mess. Ingredients all over my apron and in my hair, all sweaty from racing around and I was ninety-nine percent sure my mascara was running from the smoke. Could this night get any worse?

"Please don't tell Mr. Winslow! I'm going to have it all fixed by tomorrow, I promise!" I pleaded.

He gave me a dry laugh.

"You mean to tell me you're going to clean this whole kitchen, remake 4 dozen trays of macarons and package them up along with the other pastries in one night? I'm calling Kelly to fix thi-" He pulled out his iPhone and started scrolling through it.

"Please don't call Chef Renard. I can handle this. Really. Just please give me a chance," I said meekly and my voice cracked.

If he called Chef Renard I'd never get the promotion. This was my only chance to prove myself. I was desperate.

He tucked a piece of his perfect golden blonde hair behind his ear and thought to himself for a moment.

"You're sure you got it?"

Not even a little. I nodded.

He slipped his phone in back pocket. "If you mess this up, I was never back here."

"Got it," I whispered. I hastily stared dumping the macarons in the garbage and bringing all the dirty dishes to the sinks but he was still standing there.

"Umm, is there something else I can help you with?" I asked as I made my way to the metal sinks and got started on cleaning the bowls. Having him in the room with me made me nervous. I may have developed a teeny crush on him over the past months.

I paused what I was doing and turned around as he spoke.

He slowly looked around the room, taking in the gargantuan mess I made. "I have an idea. Well- more like a proposal." A mischievous glint formed in his earthy brown eyes. He lazily stepped closer to me. I fully backed into the sink behind him. The closer he was the harder my heart beat in my chest.