Chapter Four: Little Lily

Lily Mayfield
July 5th, 2024

I sat on the couch with my jaw on the floor as Magnolia recounted yesterday's events. I essentially blacked out after I went to bed at Rocky's house on Wednesday night.

"Oh, god." I groaned in complete horror and laid my head in Mag's lap.

She let out a small laugh and lovingly stroked my light brown locks. "Well are you gonna sit here all day feeling horrible about yourself or are you going out with me tonight?"

"You're going out?" Confusion was thick in my voice.

She let out a small scoff. "Since when have I stayed in on a Friday night?"

I sat up and practically choked on my own saliva. "Today's Friday?"

She nodded at me like it was obvious. I picked up my phone to double check if she was right.

"It's three o'clock?" My screech rang through our spacious living room. Crap.

Magnolia trailed behind me as I raced up the stairs and ran down the hall large to my bedroom.

"What's going on? Tell me why you're running around the house like a crazy person." She demanded as I hurriedly sifted through my dresses in the walk in closet. I had no party clothes and no time for a shopping spree.

"My boss—well almost—very popular boss is throwing a party at his house tonight and I promised to help him set up but I have no idea what to wear, when he's picking me up, or if he'll even show after what a complete freak I acted like yesterday." I blurted out like it was all one word.

She blinked at me in utter shock before she gently grabbed my hand and stopped me. "First of all, you're not a freak for what happened yesterday. You can't help the fact that your birth mom was a total shitbag and you sure as hell don't have to apologize for it." Sincerity with a bit of anger was laced in her voice. She never met my birth mom but she did save me from her.

"Second of all, are we talking about the hottie multi-millionaire who works down at the cafe?" I sent her a dry look. It made no sense that Mag was a gold digger. We were already rich. Or more so our parents were.

"Third of all, this hippie-dippy wardrobe is not going to cut it tonight Lil Lady. Let's go to my closet." Always so sassy. I rolled my eyes when she turned around.

Whoever was staring back at me in the mirror, couldn't have been me. An evil clone perhaps.

The deep red dress came all the way down to my ankles, a slit traveling all the way up my right thigh and the thick straps laid off my shoulder's. I felt cold and bare. My hair was in an elegant half up half down with few tendrils framing my face. Magnolia always had excellent taste in fashion.

The doorbell chimed and before I could go into cardiac arrest, I set my red lipstick in Magnolia's silver gemstone clutch that matched my heels.

My attempt to race down the staircase was proving inefficient as I carefully and unsteadily made my way down. Damn these heels.

"Wow."

I nearly face planted into the floor before I grabbed the bottom railing of the stairs to steady myself. My eyes had been so focused on the ground before me I didn't notice he'd been standing there all along.

"Oh. Rocky." I couldn't even manage a 'hello'? What was my problem?

Maybe it was the gorgeous man looking me up and down like my dress is see through. Every inch of my skin burned under his gaze. I shifted my legs from side to side as he stared. It was clear he liked to take his time.