Prologue

Anonymous
June 3rd, 2025

The red spider lily; a dazzling red flower that blooms in the autumn and dies in the spring. I met my dear Lily in midsummer, still waiting for her to emerge from the soil. An honor it was to watch her bloom in September. She flourished in the winter, her petals a striking contrast against the white winter's snow. Springtime came and her petals turned an ugly brown, her petals shriveling up. Summer rolled around fast and hard again when she retracted back into the soil without a peep. I got down on my knees and dug with my bear hands in search of my sweet Lily. It wasn't until I had dug myself in a hole so deep that I was stuck, the realization dawned on me. My dear, sweet Lily was gone for good. The death flower was another common name for a red spider lily. I see why now. You were dying right in front of my eyes and I was completely blind to the fact. And I now fear a part of me has died along side you. My heart aches to believe you may have done it on purpose. But even still, I lie in this hole I have dug for myself, looking for any sign of your life. If you are reading this now, please know, that if you come back to me I would do it all over just to be in your space. This is not a love letter. This is me, mourning my lover's death.