Chapter Thirteen: Scared

Lily Mayfield
July 24, 2024

I was sitting in a private jet with Drew. Apparently he had business in New York. The pilot announced we were descending.

Magnolia's messages had been short and cryptic. I still wasn't sure what she wanted but I needed any answers I could get. Maybe she would talk to Mother and Father for me.

Drew's knee kept bumping into mine. I sat with my knees crossed. He moved next to me instead of across from me now.

Sitting in a confined space with him for the past five hours was making me hot. I wish he would stop looking at me with that dirty smirk on his face.

My hair was being pulled out of the bun. I made a sound of confusion.

"Your hair looks sexy when it's down."

I turned to look out the window. Friends.

The plane was still and I rushed out as fast as I could. There was a limo already waiting for Drew.

"You ready?" Drew opened the car door for me.

"My Uber is waiting in the parking lot."

"You're staying with me."

What the hell was he talking about? "I've already paid for my hotel room. No, thank you."

"I will have my way eventually. And don't pretend you don't want to be alone all night with me." He said, sounding cocky as ever.

"Goodbye, Drew." I headed for the main parking lot.

. . .

Magnolia pulled me in for a big bear hug the second she walked in my hotel room. I melted into her and fought away the urge to cry.

"Lil Lady. I missed you so much." She kissed my cheek.

"I missed you too."

We sat down on the sofa.

"What are Mother and Father saying about me. How much is going to take to for them to come around?" I braced myself for her answer.

She let out a breath. "Honestly, I don't know if they will. We aren't allowed to even bring up your name. You know how good Mummy and Daddy are at holding a grudge." I frowned. It's worse than I thought.

"I've been doing some snooping around though. There's no record of anyone else putting that money in your account. You know you can tell me if it was you right?"

Her words had me stunned.

"Of course not."

"Okay. Where are you staying in Cali right now? Did you get a lease somewhere?"

"Um...no. I've been staying with Rocky."

She gasped like the diva she was. Mags lived for gossip. "Like sexy surfer boy, boss Rocky?"

"...Yes."

"Oh! My! God! Have you guys done it yet?"