14 | the revelation

toji's fist had unknowingly clenched together. the disgusting name of his cousin rolled of y/n's mouth. it had been more than 10 years since he had seen his cousin-- in fact it had been more than 10 years since he had stepped foot in the zenin estate. the ex-zenin was shocked that he even remembered his cousin's name. 

"what the hell did my asshole of a cousin even do to make you like him." 
toji visibly cringed as y/n's eyes widened in surprise. toji was sure that his shitty cousin had cursed her to even like him. 

"h-he's your COUSIN???" 
shock was an understatement. it was a small world indeed. right when toji was about to add a snarky comment, he had spotted a familiar face lurking around the corner. his heightened senses made it easy for him to be alert. 

"megumi, come here." 
toji kneeled down at the kid and brought him up. y/n halted in her steps, waiting for toji to steady megumi in his arms. 

"there's someone tailing behind us. do you have a detour to your house?" 

"there's a person--" 

"yes so is there a detour a not?" 
impatient, toji tightened his hold around his child who was fascinated by his father's dark hair. which was odd because his own hair colour was the exact replica of his father's. megumi grabbed a fistful of toji's dark hair, twirling it around. 

y/n nodded hesitantly. a smirk pulled to toji's face as he placed his arm around y/n's shoulders. his muscles flexing unconsciously at it. 

"don't worry. i'm here." 
his voice was low as he pulled y/n closer to him. 

he's... so close!!! y/n frantically thought to herself. the close proximity was not helping at all. 

"dad i'm sleepy." 
megumi pouted, resting his head on toji's chest. 

"go to sleep dumbling." 
megumi nodded at his father's words and stretched his neck to reach toji's right cheek. pressing a slobby kiss on his cheek, megumi then muttered a small goodnight to his dad and y/n. 

"lead the way." 
his arm never left y/n's shoulder. in fact, it stayed there, all the way till y/n reached her house. 

"how long have you worked as a hitman?" 

"the moment i got kicked out of my house and gambled to a debt." 
it was a vague answer but y/n could only imagine an 18-year-old toji getting kicked out into the world. 

"that's rough." 

"it's for the better anyways." 
toji stated. he looked at his boy, sleeping soundly. megumi was his blessing. he named him that. his little blessing that he swore to protect. despite the fact that he didn't have a father figure at all, toji tried his best. the man didn't know how to show his love for his child but the occasional buying of his favourite food and head pats were what megumi looked forward to the most. the death of his wife was a gruelling experience but he moved on. 

megumi doesn't remember anything from his birth mother. toji didn't expect him to do so anyway. he knows that he hurts megumi whenever he brings ladies to his house for one-night stands. but now, toji couldn't fathom the reason but he didn't want to do that anymore. 

was he changing? toji didn't know. he didn't care at all in fact. the man did as he pleased. 

soon after, y/n had reached her apartment. toji was sure that he had lost his pursuers. glancing at the 3-year-old fushiguro, y/n ruffled his hair and whispered a goodnight to his ear. 

"thank you for bringing me home toji." 

"pleasure is all mine." 
slyly, toji reached for y/n's hand and kissed the back of her hand like he did on their first encounter. butterflies let loose in y/n's stomach at the contact. red tinting the tip of her ear and on her cheeks.