34

Ravencall made her way down to the gorge, throwing herself into the water. She got thrown by the current, but she forced herself to swim. She grabbed Firestar's scruff, yanking him away from Tigerstar. 

Firestar coughed out some water before he slowly opened his eyes. He heavily turned his head to look at Ravencall with a smile on his face. "Ravencall..."

Ravencall crouched down close to him, licking his fur in an attempt to warm him up. "You're gonna be okay. You're going to be fine." She whispered.

"Stop," Firestar told her, trying to lift his head, only to have it fall back down. "This is my last life. This is my time to join StarClan for good."

Ravencall looked at him. "Firestar, it can't be." She whispered. "I can't be the leader. I... I have kits..."

Firestar just smiled at her. "You have always been a leader. You were born for this." He slowly blinked. "StarClan might judge me when I join them. But I am ready. I have been waiting for this moment, ever since you joined ThunderClan as a little scared kit."

Ravencall let out a sob, pushing her face into his fur. "Firestar, I can't lose you." She whispered. "What am I going to do without you?"

Firestar lifted his paw, gently placing it on Ravencall's chest. "I'll always be by your side. You'll always find me in the moonlight. And I'll be proudly watching you become who you were supposed to be with the whole StarClan. Our deputies weren't dying because StarClan turned its back on us. But because you were supposed to lead the Clan. And I'm so proud of you as if you were my own daughter."

Ravencall looked at Firestar. "I promise to make you proud. I'll make sure your name will be known for generations." She licked his fur again. "Thank you for being the father I never had..." She whispered, curling up next to him.

"There is no reason better to die," Firestar whispered. "Go. Fly, Raven. Take care of the forest. Enlighten it as you were meant to. And protect as many birds from the beast as possible. You're not alone.." With that, he relaxed his muscles, slowly closing his eyes.

"Firestar..." she whispered. Her eyes widened. "Firestar..!" She cried out, pushing her face into his pelt. She grabbed his scruff and began dragging him back away from the gorge.

"Ravencall!" Goosetail's voice piped up from across the river.

Ravencall's eyes darted to Goosetail as the she-cat went over the river. 

"Let me help you," Goosetail whispered, helping her carry Firestar.

Ravencall and Goosetail carried Firestar back to camp. They dropped his body in the middle of the camp clearing.

"Firestar!" Sandstorm cried, racing towards him.

The majority of the cats poked their heads out of their dens, staring into the clearing. They silently began to gather around their leader's dead body. Moosepaw trotted out of the medicine den, watching the scene from a distance. Nightbreeze stormed into the clearing, his jaw dropping.

"Firestar..!" Cloudtail yowled before he turned to look at Ravencall and Goosetail. "You did it!" he snapped at Ravencall.

"Mousebrain!" Nightbreeze snarled. "Your leader just died," he choked out. "And you're here making nonsense accusations."

Ravencall looked at Cloudtail, looking at him with a cool expression. "You can go if you're going to accuse me of killing my father." She spat.

Sandstorm looked at Cloudtail before looking at Firestar. "May he hunt with StarClan..."