Not again

The Suriel had been right about the hewn city not being the only city in the night court. But by cauldron he had forgotten to mention the fact that this city outshined the other. And any other city in prythian as a matter of fact.

The city was absolutely stunning, glittering with lights reflecting on the river that ran through it. Snowy mountains towering over it from behind and the sky above gleaming with starlight. The wind whipped towards me, causing a scent of salt and citrus to find me.

This was not how I'd envisioned the night court at all in contrast to the hewn city

This was not how I'd envisioned the night court at all in contrast to the hewn city. I began down the mountain, eager to reach an inn and have some food and warmth.

I made my way down the buzzing streets, the smell of food from restaurants making my mouth water, melodies from music I'd never heard played anywhere before played out from afar as people conversed with each other as they walked the streets.

If I could see the suriel now I'd kiss his feet for leading me here. Here I'd be safe from Ziven and free to live a quiet life surrounded by this.

I didn't continue on for long before stopping at the first inn I saw, desperate to get some food in me. I sat and had a perfectly cooked roast dinner with some of the best faerie wine I'd ever drank. For the first time in months a slither of hope filled me, warming me like the dinner I was enjoying.

"I haven't seen you around here before?" The man who I assumed owned the Inn spoke to me, a smile plastered on his face. He had a big crooked nose, now scrunching with the smile that overpowered his features. I looked up at him in annoyance, making it clear that I'd rather not have been interrupted. "And?" I sneer.

"And....it's nice to see a fresh face." He gave a small smile, not shying away from my rude response. I was almost taken aback. Almost.

"Well don't expect to see this fresh face long, I'm only staying until I find a more permanent residence." I swipe at him, glug my wine and get up to leave.

He puts an hand on my arm. "Stay as long as you like." Earning a scoff from me as I shrug off his arm and walk out of the inn.

I knew I was being rude, but I wasn't interested in making friends in this new city. I was safe from Ziven here and I wasn't about to jeopardise that by risking associating with anyone who might know him. I'd rather remain alone, unbothered to take the time to mourn and rebuild a quiet life for myself...with a side of mischief perhaps..

I stepped out into the street and began exploring the town. It was fairly busy considering it was so late at night. The streets were warm considering we were in the mountains, I assumed there must have been wards placed on them to keep them that way as there were throughout winter court.

The town was full of theatres and galleries, restaurants and shops, clubs and bars. It was wonderful. The Surel had been a cauldron send to lead me here.

A few hours passed and a light rain was now falling. I was beginning to get my bearings around the city, making my way down a dark path on the way back to the inn when a chill washed over me.