Chapter 20: At What Cost?

© tumblr |  lara se saint germain

Chapter 20: At What Cost?

Penelope Silverthorn became a muted statue to Sebastian Sallow inside the Faculty Meeting that very next day

Penelope Silverthorn became a muted statue to Sebastian Sallow inside the Faculty Meeting that very next day. You couldn't even win her a glare if it was by accident. Penelope really stood her ground and kept her own priorities; minding her business and leaving the past aside.

The past lovers became estranged by a solid barrier between them. Although there was no actual wall, you could feel the lack of energy overall. And it was thanks to Sebastian Sallow.

Sebastian Sallow's foot tapped lightly underneath the meeting table below the others. His quill pen fidgeted over his lips like a bored student as he tried to maintain a concentrated stare and avoid the intrusive thoughts in his head.

There shouldn't have been a surprising reaction toward Penelope's withdrawal from any communication at him. There shouldn't at all — but it stressed him. It shouldn't have. This was his fault after all. He messed up. He ruined the little step of interaction they were beginning to have. He fucked it up, terribly.

Did I really? The professor would think to himself mid-meeting, his brown eyes forcing themselves to gaze at the woman across him momentarily before turning back down after a millisecond. Did I really mess up? It was the truth. He thought.

Professor Sallow was more upset with himself for not accepting the reality of it. The man was in denial, the least he wanted to do was to keep redirecting his thoughts onto something more deeper. Something that should've stood in the past.

"I don't think it'll be a good idea to crowd the Map Chamber at once," The Headmistress, Matilda Weasley, let out, bringing him back to focus, "I believe only a portion of you should go down there."

There were a few nods of heads at the statement.

Matilda Weasley adjusted her glasses, read down her notes, and cleared her throat, "As the list was given, it is said that for attendance of this task is, Miss Silverthorn, of course," she glared.