Chapter 35: Preventia Elixir

Trigger warning:
Read comment to avoid spoilers.

"Don't tell my boyfriend.
It's not what he's made for.
What was I made for?"
Billie Eilish

Penelope Silverthorn's eyes opened in a snap a few hours later, the last traces of her half-dream faded as her eyesight adjusted and tried to determine the hour she woke up from.

The sun hadn't risen yet, and the bedroom was in shadows. A few fainted orange streaks of dawn filtered through the windows down the floors and she furrowed on how early it must've been.

Click. Click.

Luna's paws clicked, but she wasn't nearby from the angle.

"Shh," A heavy voice hushed quietly behind her.

Penelope's mind was still foggy from sleep, but the weak hush that followed with a chuckle made her body turn slowly.

A mess of brown hairs that were tousled from a deep sleep and running her fingers through them all night were at sight, along with a stark contrast of a bare back and the freckled skin was visible on the dimmed light from the arched window with each movement.

Both man and dog were maintaining a hushed silence, not wanting to disturb the morning sleep of Penelope, but failed as the turn of Penelope made them turn back.

Sebastian Sallow's eyes met hers, a hint of guilt and tiredness playing on his perfect face as he faced her and continued to pet Luna's head in the process.

Am I dreaming? Penelope Silverthorn hadn't had a proper dream in a while. They were usually filled with nightmares or a blend of pure darkness. Never a good dream. She's forgotten when she last had one.

But the sight was distracting. Too distracting.

"Hey," Sebastian managed to say in a blend of a whisper and murmur. The man had also woken up minutes prior. "—m'sorry, we tried to be quiet."

No, this wasn't a dream state. It was reality. No nightmares. No dreams. Just a good sleep with a good morning.

Penelope was speechless for a moment, her gaze fixated on Sebastian. He was shirtless, hairs tousled, and the dog laying peacefully by his lap — then the rays of the 5% sun entering the bedroom illuminating his features? — Merlin.

Penelope forgot how to speak.

"You're tired." Sebastian noticed the silence and swollen eyelids, yet, the man was mesmerized. "Get rest, Pen,"