Chapter 27: Signs

My eyes slowly opened as I found myself still in the corner of my room, my headache just horrible from crying last night.

I grunted softly as I stood up, looking around my room again for a note that I doubted was there. But there was something. Something small. On the window it was frosted with "MR" written on it. A while ago me and jack established that if there was an emergency, we meet at the meadow rock. Which was what MR stood for.

Right when I saw that and I quickly got dressed, ran downstairs, skipping breakfast and running out the door. Honestly I didn't care. I just wanted to know if Jack was there or not! I quickly ran in the forest, avoiding any log or branches in my way. As I arrived at the meadow I looked at the rock.. No one was there. I walked over to the rock and saw a piece of paper glued on it.

I took the paper and read it.

'Dear hiccup,
I know you may be worried... But I'm okay. I miss you dearly but I'll be back soon.. Promise. I love you.

P.S. You should really sleep in your comfy bed, not the corner of your room Hun ;)'

And that was all. Tears sprang to my eyes. Happy ones of course. I was just so happy he was well.. And will be back soon. But I was just confused on his definition of soon..

I was still extremely happy. I folded up the paper and stuck it in my pocket as I started to walk back home. I know my father would probably be questioning me on why I bolted out the house.. But I'll make something up.

I suddenly had a weird feeling.. As in someone was following me. So being an idiot I stopped walking. I stood still and tried to listen. Silence.

"Hello?" I called out. Jeez what a first-guy-to-die-in-the-movie move. I looked around me as I saw a dark figure hiding itself behind a tree. Good thing I had my pocket knife.

"Who are you?" I called out again, slowly stepping towards the tree the unknown figure was hiding behind. I slowly pulled out my knife as I kept walking towards it. The tree was right by a rivière. The figure wasn't moving but as I got closer it looked like a cloak.
So I walked up to the tree with no hesitation, knife still out, and turned to see that the cloak was just hanging from a tree. Strange, I don't think that was there before.

A sudden force was pushed onto my back as I fell head first on the rocks of the rivière. It hurt like hell as my head pounded, my eyes unable to keep open, as I felt something against my neck. A few seconds later it was gone and all I heard was some grunting before I blacked out.