Chapter 16: I take the job as a professional liar

««««««««»»»»»»»»

Chloe's POV

««««««««»»»»»»»»

The next few days it only got worse. Hot temperatures, big baggy sweaters. The cracks still weren't visible on my face, but it had spread to my chest and through my right shoulder, slowly making its way down my other arm. I couldn't hide it by healing it anymore, it was too painful. It was also very painful when someone hugged me and touched my shoulder. If I would flinch, I would use the excuse that it was just a sunburn from a few days ago.

Today there was no mission again, so we were just watching Up, which I wasn't fully enjoying. I was leaning myself against Jaime's shoulder, but it was pretty uncomfortable. He turned a bit, which caused my shoulder to rub against my sweater. "Sorry, sunburn." I said and he nodded.

"Yeah, sunburn." Wally said from the other side of Artemis. "YEAH, sunburn." I said, angrier. "Cool." He said, rolling his eyes. "Cool." I said as I continued to watch the movies. Artemis and Jaime exchanged glances as they watched us argue. Once it was over, it was time for suggestions, which I was most likely going to shut them all down.

"What should we do now?" Cassie asked. Training? No. Beach? No. None of these were an option for me. "Wait." M'gann finally said. She turned to Artemis with a serious expression. "Have you gotten your graduation dress yet?" She asked. Artemis looked around the room. "Artemis." I said, trying to get her to look at me.

She sighed. "I mean, it's just a dress..." She said, quietly trailing off. All of the girls let out massive groans. "To the mall!" M'gann said, and we all set off. But before we could, Dick came back from wherever he was, with someone. "And this is the team." He said to the... person? He had fish like skin, with big red eyes, and was only wearing black shorts. Oh my God, he was a walking fish.

"Team, this is La'gaan, he'll be Aqualad's replacement.." He said, and this fish boy nodded to us all. His eye quickly caught M'gann's. Oh crap. "And who might you be, angelfish?" He said as he took a step forward and held out his hand. I could practically feel Conner glaring from across the room.

"M'gann, or Megan. Whatever you want to call me." She said as she held out her hand, blushing. I tried my hardest not to puke. "A pleasure to meet you, M'gann." He said as he bent down and kissed her hand, making her giggle. Oh God, I could feel the puke coming. "Okay, let's go dress shopping, people! C'mon c'mon, we don't have all day." I said as I began to walk towards the zeta tube, practically dragging M'gann with me.

"Wait Clo, you can't seriously be thinking about wearing that stupid sweater." Artemis said. "I seriously am!" I said as I stepped into the zeta tube. "Oh, wait." I said as I quickly ran out of the zeta tube, over to Jaime. "Bye babe, love you." I said quickly kissing him on the forehead. I could feel his smile as I ran back to the zeta tube.

««««««««»»»»»»»»

M'gann contacted two girls when we got to the mall. Their names were Zatanna and Raquel, who I recognized as Rocket and, well, Zatanna. We all made Artemis try on at least 100 dresses, her complaining about each. "Artemis, you have to at least like one!" Raquel exclaimed. Artemis groaned as she pulled on the red dress she had on. "They're all so long! I have plenty of dresses in my closet, why can't I just grab one from there?" Artemis exclaimed. "Artemis, you have to pick one!" Zatanna exclaimed

The girls continued to argue, but something caught my eye. I quickly ran over and grabbed the dress I saw, and I threw it to Artemis. "Try it on, trust me." I said as she looked at the dress. After a few minutes of anticipation, we all gasped. I smirked. "You like it, don't you?" I said as she studied the green dress.