Chapter 26

JESSIE

I don't know how many people believe in God, but I do. I'm not saying you must; I would never force anyone to do so. I've been to church over the years and prayed about numerous things. Someone created this earth and us. I think it was God. I won't go into much detail, but I have always found myself as a believer. I am not perfect in any way, but our father up above does fantastic things.

When I lost my child during birth, I never imagined another door would open so soon after losing her. I thought grief would overtake my life since it was the second child I had lost. I always wanted a big family to have kids running around the family ranch.

When one door closes, you don't always expect another to open, but I have learned you must expect the unexpected in life.

God works in mysterious ways. The name I had given my deceased infant was the name also given to another child four months older. That said, the child was now under my care, and the adoption was in process.

Paisley Ridge's mother, who I will not name, died after complications from the drugs she overdosed on. I never wished that, but it was already planned by someone more powerful than me, and I think it happened like that so I could give Paisley the life she deserved. Those little blue eyes made me tear up each time I looked into them, and it reminded me of how blessed Trace and I are.

Right now, I was standing on the back porch with Paisley Ridge in my arms while Trace came up the steps with our new yellow Labrador puppy, Maverick.

"What are you thinking about firecracker?" Trace asked, kissing my lips and then kissing his daughter's forehead.

"I'm thinking about how blessed we are even through the chaos and trials that have come into our lives. I love you, and I love our daughter. Soon, she will be Paisley Ridge Black, and soon, she will also be a big sister."

I handed Trace a positive pregnancy test. After facing two losses, I wasn't sure about trying for another kid again, but I knew the outcome wasn't all in my hands. I wanted more kids, and I knew Trace did too. Whatever happened happened, and I would be okay in the end. We all would because I was born a White and will always be one. We're tougher than nails, and nothing will keep us down.

"You're pregnant?" Trace asked.

I nodded, tears in my eyes and a little fear lingering. "Yes, I am, and I saw the doctor already. He's going to keep a close eye on me. I feel confident about this, and I will not worry."

Trace wrapped his arms around me and kissed my forehead. "We got this, and so does God. Paisley is going to be a great big sister. I love you."

"I love you too."

And with that, our chapter ends—short but sweet. The future held so much for us and our kids. Rowdy's was almost done with the rebuild, and soon, we'd be open and meeting so many new people to fill our lives with joy.

There will always be trials, temptations, and days with anger or sadness, but there are also days filled with joy, peace, and excitement. Take each day as it comes because you never know what will come your way. My life is like a fairytale with some chaos along the way. Each little mess that happened turned everything into something beautiful. I know I never saw a tall, handsome cowboy who rode bulls for a living coming my way, nor did I ever expect to marry him and have children with him.

Expect the unexpected, and when you're in Texas, maybe you should even expect some Southern Charm.