Chapter 6

As the first light of dawn crept through the curtains, Aditi stirred from her restless slumber. She glanced over at Shubman, who lay motionless beside her, the rise and fall of his chest the only sign of life. With a tender touch, she felt his forehead, her heart sinking as the heat of his fever met her palm. It hadn't subsided. Panic fluttered in her chest as she hurried to the lobby, her voice laced with urgency, "Bhaiyya, Shubman's fever hasn't broken. I gave him medicine last night, but it's made no difference."

Rohit, ever the pillar of strength, responded with calm resolve, "Alright, let's not waste a moment. I'll call for medical assistance right away." Together, they hastened back to the room, only to find Shubman propped up against the pillows, a look of discomfort etched across his features. "Shub, talk to me, how do you feel?" Rohit inquired, concern furrowing his brow.

A weak smile flickered on Shubman's lips as he replied, "Bhai, my body's burning up... I can't explain it, but something's not right." Soon, the medics arrived, their presence a whirlwind of efficiency as they conducted a battery of tests. "We'll have the results within two hours," they assured before departing.

Shubman simply nodded, a silent prayer for nothing serious as he leaned back, exhaustion weighing him down. Meanwhile, Aditi paced the room, her mind a tumult of worry and confusion. "Why does this affect me so deeply?" she pondered, her frown deepening with each step.

Time crawled by until the doctor returned, the entire Indian Cricket Team (ICT) in tow, their faces a canvas of concern. The doctor's words fell like a hammer, "I'm sorry, Shubman. It's dengue. You're benched for the opening match against Australia."

Shock rippled through Shubman, the reality of the situation anchoring him to the spot. As the doctor exited, Rohit's voice broke through the haze, "Shub, focus on healing. The doctors will take care of you here."

With a nod of resignation, Shubman watched as the IV was set up, the doctor's assurance of rest through medication a small comfort. "Mr. Gill, this will help you sleep," he said, offering a gentle smile.

The medicine's embrace was swift, pulling Shubman into a peaceful slumber. In the meantime, Ishan reached out to Shahneel, his voice tinged with worry, "Hi Shahneel di, it's Ishan. Shubman's down with Dengue. Could Keart aunty make it here?"

Shahneel's response was immediate, "She's tied up with an important event. But don't fret, I'll be there soon." With a heavy heart, Ishan returned to Shubman's side, where Aditi sat immersed in a book, her smile a fleeting moment of warmth in the cold uncertainty.

Upon awakening, Shubman's gaze found Ishan, who brought news of Shahneel's imminent arrival. "The others are at practice," Ishan added, answering Shubman's unspoken question. With a weary nod, Shubman turned to his phone, seeking distraction in the endless scroll of social media.

Two hours later, Shahneel's embrace enveloped Shubman, her presence a balm to his troubled spirit. "Careful, di, you might catch it too," he cautioned, only to be met with her dismissive chuckle, "I'll be fine."

As Shahneel settled beside him, Shubman's eyes were drawn to the world outside the window, a silent observer to life moving on without him. Resolved to share his plight, he crafted a heartfelt post on Instagram, his spirits lifted by the outpouring of support from friends and fans alike.

 Resolved to share his plight, he crafted a heartfelt post on Instagram, his spirits lifted by the outpouring of support from friends and fans alike