Chapter 25

The sun was setting over the grand Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad, casting a golden glow over the field. It was a day etched in the annals of cricket history, a day that would witness the clash of titans—Gujarat Titans against Mumbai Indians. Shubman Gill, the young captain of Gujarat Titans, felt a whirlwind of emotions as he donned his gear. It was his debut as a captain, and the weight of leadership rested heavily on his shoulders. His heart raced with anticipation and a touch of anxiety as he approached the pitch for the toss.

As he stepped onto the field, he locked eyes with Hardik Pandya, his former teammate and mentor. A flood of memories from their days together in GT surged through him, but he steeled his nerves, focusing on the task at hand. The coin spun in the air, glinting in the fading light, and landed in favor of Mumbai Indians. "We will bowl," declared Hardik, his voice steady and confident.

Shubman's response was a silent nod, his mind already strategizing the next move. They shook hands—a gesture of mutual respect—and Shubman retreated to the sanctuary of the dressing room. "We are batting first," he announced to his team, his voice betraying none of his inner turmoil.

Wriddhiman Saha, the seasoned wicketkeeper-batsman, acknowledged with a firm nod. Together, they padded up and descended to the battlefield that was the pitch. The duo opened the innings with a solid partnership, scoring 31 runs before Saha fell victim to Bumrah's cunning delivery.

"The wily Bumrah strikes again, dismissing Saha with a masterful ball," the commentator's voice boomed across the stadium, echoing the collective gasp of the crowd. The scoreboard read 31 for 1, a modest beginning to what would be an epic saga.

Sai Sudarshan joined Shubman at the crease, and together they wove a partnership of 64 runs, a tapestry of skill and determination. But as fate would have it, Shubman's lofted shot found its way into the safe hands of Rohit Sharma. "The young skipper departs, caught by the experienced Sharma," lamented the commentator as the score settled at 64 for 2.

Azmatullah Omarzai, the Afghan prodigy, strode in with a warrior's resolve. He and Sudarshan crafted a partnership that brought the team's total to 104. Yet, Gerald Coetzee's delivery sent Omarzai's shot skyward, only to be claimed by Tilak Varma's agile catch. "Varma secures the catch, and Omarzai's stint at the crease comes to an end," the commentator narrated, marking the score at 104 for 3.

David Miller, known as 'Killer Miller' for his explosive batting, joined forces with Sudarshan. They pushed the score to 133 before Miller's ambitious shot was intercepted by Hardik's swift catch. "A whisker away from a six, Miller departs," the commentator's voice tinged with excitement. The scoreboard now read 133 for 4.

Vijay Shankar, the all-rounder, was next to bat, adding a single run to the partnership before Sudarshan's attempt was thwarted by Varma's spectacular catch off Bumrah's delivery. "Sudarshan's valiant effort ends with Varma's catch," the commentator praised, as the score ticked to 134 for 5.

Rahul Tewatia, the finisher, stepped up with Shankar, elevating the score to 161. But Coetzee's bowling outsmarted Tewatia, and Naman Dhir's catch sent him back. "Tewatia falls to Coetzee's guile and Dhir's hands," the commentator observed, with the score at 161 for 6.

Rashid Khan, the charismatic spinner, joined the fray, adding crucial runs with Tewatia before the innings concluded at 168. The target for Mumbai Indians was set: 169 runs in 20 overs.

A brief interlude later, the Mumbai Indians' openers, Ishan Kishan and Rohit Sharma, took their stance. Omarzai's first delivery was a thunderbolt, sending Kishan's shot into Saha's waiting gloves. "Omarzai delivers a stunning blow, dismissing Kishan," the commentator exclaimed, as Mumbai stood at 0 for 1.

Naman Dhir partnered with Rohit, nudging the score to 30 before falling lbw to Omarzai's sharp bowling. "Omarzai strikes again, claiming his second victim," the commentator praised, with the score at 30 for 2.