Chapter 14

The silence in the stadium was palpable, a stark contrast to the roaring excitement that had filled the air just hours before. India had faced a crushing defeat in the finals, and the weight of disappointment hung heavily over the team. Shubman Gill, once the beacon of hope for the team, retreated into the solitude of his room, the click of the lock echoing the closing of their championship dreams.

Aditi, with her heart torn between the sorrow of two friends, found herself at a loss. Rohit, the captain, who had shouldered the team's aspirations, or Shubman, the young star whose light seemed to have dimmed with the loss. It was Ritika, ever the pillar of strength, who guided her. "Adi, you go and be with Shub, I will be with Ro," she said, her voice a gentle command amidst the chaos of emotions.

With a nod, Aditi made her way to Shubman's door, her knock a soft inquiry in the hush. The door gave way to her gentle push, revealing Shubman amidst a flurry of clothes and an open suitcase—a clear sign of a mind in turmoil.

"Shub, look at me," Aditi implored, her voice a mix of concern and command. But Shubman, lost in his own storm of thoughts, could only offer a shake of his head. It was with a tender touch that Aditi turned his face towards hers, her eyes meeting his—red and swollen from the tears he fought to hold back. In that moment, their embrace became a refuge, a silent promise that no words could convey.

"Just let everything out, Shub. You will feel better," Aditi whispered, her words a soothing balm. And as Shubman's resolve crumbled, the tears he had held at bay cascaded down his cheeks, each one a testament to the passion and pressure that coursed through him.

The question of sustenance was met with silence, prompting Aditi to take matters into her own hands. A salad, simple yet nourishing, was ordered—a small act of care in the face of overwhelming emotions. And though Shubman's stubbornness resisted, Aditi's gentle persistence won, feeding him with both food and comfort.

"You sleep, I will sleep after some time," Shubman murmured, his voice heavy with exhaustion. Aditi, her own eyes growing heavy, acquiesced, her slumber a silent vigil by his side. Alone with the night, Shubman stood on the balcony, the cool breeze whispering questions he had long avoided. Why did Aditi's presence stir feelings so different from what he had known with Sara? Was she the angel his mother had always spoken of?

The night deepened, and Shubman returned to the warmth of the bed, where Aditi, even in sleep, sought his closeness. A chuckle escaped him at her innocent actions, and with a tender kiss to her hair, he surrendered to the night's embrace.

Dawn heralded a new day, and with it, Aditi rose, her movements a silent dance of routine. Shubman followed, his steps slower, the weight of yesterday still clinging to him. Together, they faced their friends, Aditi's voice breaking the morning's calm. "Guys, I was thinking that we can go somewhere so that our minds become fresh."

The suggestion was met with nods of agreement, the collective need for escape resonating within the group. "Manali?" Shubman offered, the name a breath of fresh air amidst the stale atmosphere of defeat. Approval was unanimous, and plans were set into motion, the prospect of a getaway igniting a spark of anticipation.

 Approval was unanimous, and plans were set into motion, the prospect of a getaway igniting a spark of anticipation