Chapter 24

The room was filled with a soft murmur of voices as the men from Karthik's side brought in the stunning red lehenga, its fabric whispering promises of a ceremony steeped in tradition

The room was filled with a soft murmur of voices as the men from Karthik's side brought in the stunning red lehenga, its fabric whispering promises of a ceremony steeped in tradition. The makeup artists, a troupe of magicians with their brushes and palettes, were already there, setting up their stage. I held the mangalsutra in my hands, its black and gold beads a stark contrast to the vibrant red. As I clasped it, a torrent of memories cascaded through my mind, each one a vivid flashback of moments spent with Shubman.

The artists worked with skilled hands, weaving beauty into my hair, painting grace onto my face, yet my gaze remained fixed on the mangalsutra. It was a symbol of our union, a union that now seemed to be slipping away. A pang of sorrow gripped my heart as I pondered over our fate. Why were Shubman and I denied the joyous life we envisioned? I could sense his concern, even from afar, and I knew with a heavy heart that he would forgo his flight to Ahmedabad tonight.

My reverie was interrupted when one of the makeup artists gently prompted, "Ma'am, could you please extend your hands?" Her voice was kind, but it felt distant. I complied, almost robotically, extending my hands to receive the final touches of bridal adornment. As the lehenga draped around me, transforming me into a bride, a sense of resignation settled within me. This wasn't the dream I had cherished, but if it meant safeguarding Shubman's life, it was a sacrifice I was willing to make.

The artists departed, their task completed, leaving behind a silence that enveloped me. Alone, I sank into the chair, the weight of the moment pressing down on me. A few silent tears traced paths down my cheeks, and in a whisper barely louder than a breath, I uttered a heartfelt confession to the empty room, "I love you so much, Shub." It was a whisper meant for him, a whisper carrying the weight of our love, a love that was as enduring as it was tested.

" It was a whisper meant for him, a whisper carrying the weight of our love, a love that was as enduring as it was tested

In the heart of the bustling city, Shubman stood resolute beside the commissioner, their eyes locked on the screen displaying Aditi's last known location. The air was thick with tension, the stakes higher than ever. With a nod, they agreed it was time to move. The journey was a blur, the cityscape rushing by as they sped towards the outskirts, where danger and hope intertwined in a place 20 minutes away.