Chapter 8

The atmosphere was electric, the anticipation palpable. India, riding high on their recent victory against Afghanistan, was now facing their arch-rivals Pakistan. The day had arrived, a day that every cricket fan had marked in bold on their calendars: India vs Pakistan.

The stadium was a sea of blue and green, the air thick with chants and cheers. Rohit strode confidently to the center for the toss, the weight of a billion hopes resting on his shoulders. Luck favored India as they won the toss and chose to field first, a strategic move to harness the morning dew.

The Pakistani openers, Abdullah Shafique and Imam-ul-Haq, emerged, their pads strapped on, ready for battle. They started strong, racking up 41 runs, but India's Mohammed Siraj was on the hunt. With a swift lbw, he claimed Shafique's wicket, and the scoreboard read 41 for 1.

The Pakistani skipper, Babar Azam, joined Imam at the crease. Together, they wove a partnership of 73 runs, but Hardik Pandya's cunning bowling lured Imam into a trap, and KL Rahul, vigilant behind the stumps, snapped up the catch. Pakistan was 73 for 2.

Mohammad Rizwan stepped up, his bat ready to carve runs. He and Babar crafted a solid partnership, pushing the score to 155. But Siraj, with a delivery that danced devilishly off the pitch, stumped Babar, sending him back to the pavilion. The scoreboard now read a tense 155 for 3.

Saud Shakeel was next, but his stay was brief. Kuldeep Yadav's spin was his undoing, and he too fell lbw. The score was 162 for 4.

Iftikhar Ahmed joined Rizwan, but Kuldeep was on fire, claiming Iftikhar's wicket with a stumping. Pakistan stumbled to 166 for 5. Shadab Khan stepped in, but could only add two runs before Rizwan was bowled by the lethal Jasprit Bumrah. Pakistan was reeling at 168 for 6.

Mohammad Nawaz and Shadab managed to edge the score to 171, but Bumrah struck again, bowling Shadab. Hasan Ali came in, and together with Nawaz, they pushed to 187. But Pandya's delivery was too tempting, and Nawaz's shot found Bumrah in the field. The crowd erupted as Sanjana and Natasha celebrated, and even Aditi allowed herself a small, proud smile.

Shaheen Afridi joined Hasan, but the latter was soon out, caught by Shubman Gill off Jadeja's bowling. Aditi's joy overflowed as she jumped in excitement. Shubman caught her eye, and a warm smile spread across his face before Virat Kohli enveloped him in a congratulatory hug, tousling his hair affectionately. Pakistan was teetering at 187 for 9.

Haris Rauf was the last man in. He and Afridi eked out a few more runs, but Rauf fell lbw to Jadeja. Pakistan was all out for 191. India's target was 192 in 50 overs.

Back in the dressing room, the Indian team was a blend of nerves and confidence. Shubman, after a moment of quiet reflection, donned his pads and walked out with Rohit to open the innings.

They started cautiously, accumulating 23 runs, but Afridi's pace proved too much for Shubman, who lofted a catch to Shadab. As he walked back, disappointment etched on his face, he changed into his orange jersey and joined Rahul and Iyer in the players' box.

Virat, the chase master, joined Rohit in the middle. Together, they built a fortress of a partnership, amassing 79 runs before Hasan Ali's delivery sent Virat's shot skyward, straight into Rizwan's waiting hands. India was 79 for 2.

Shreyas Iyer was next, and the partnership with Rohit blossomed. They took the score to 156 before Rohit's attempt to clear the boundary found Iftikhar's hands. India was 156 for 3.

KL Rahul, calm and composed, joined Shreyas. Together, they steered India to victory, scoring 192 runs in just 30.3 overs. The nation erupted in jubilation, and Bumrah, the architect of Pakistan's downfall, was rightly named Player of the Match. Sanjana's happiness knew no bounds as she embraced Aditi, who returned the gesture warmly.