Chapter 7

The day had arrived, a crescendo of anticipation and national pride, as India faced Australia in a cricket match that had everyone's hearts racing. Shubman, confined to his room by illness, was accompanied by Aditi, his constant caregiver and companion. Shahneel, seeking to capture the live thrill, had departed for the stadium, leaving the two in the quiet of their quarters.

With a flick of the remote, Shubman brought the game to life on the television screen. The coin flipped, and fate favored Australia, granting them the bat. The players took their positions, and the match commenced with David Warner and Mitchell Marsh at the helm. Warner, swift and precise, scored 5 runs before yielding the crease to Marsh. Bumrah, with a steely gaze, delivered the ball. Marsh swung, sending it soaring for a six, but Virat, with agility and grace, snatched it from the air. The commentator's voice boomed, "It's a tremendous catch by Mr. Kohli!"

The scoreboard read 5 for 1, a promising start for India. Steve Smith joined Warner, and together they wove a partnership, tallying 74 runs. Kuldeep Yadav, with a spinner's guile, stepped up to bowl. Warner, overconfident, struck the ball, but it was a ruse, and Kuldeep, with reflexes sharp, caught it himself.

Now at 74 for 2, Marnus Labuschagne entered the fray. He and Smith, a duo of determination, pushed the score to 110 before Jadeja, with a twirl of his wrist, sent Smith packing. The score stood at 110 for 3.

"Good progress," Shubman remarked, a strategist even in sickness. Aditi, hopeful, added, "Yeah, maybe the target might be low for us." Shubman, ever cautious, replied, "Maybe."

The game surged on, Glenn Maxwell stepping in, his reputation preceding him. He and Labuschagne added 9 more runs before Jadeja, once again, disrupted the rhythm, and KL Rahul, with a leap of faith, caught the ball. The score was now 119 for 4.

Alex Carey's moment was fleeting, succumbing to lbw in the next ball, leaving the score at 119 for 5. Cameron Green then joined forces with Maxwell, pushing the score to 140 before Maxwell fell to Kuldeep Yadav's cunning spin. The score was 140 for 6.

Pat Cummins, the Australian Captain, strode in, only to witness Carey's downfall to lbw by Jadeja. The score was now a precarious 140 for 7.

Mitchell Starc, with Cummins, managed to eke out 165 runs before Cummins was bested by Bumrah's delivery and Shreyas' catch. Adam Zampa, alongside Starc, pushed the score to 189. Zampa's next hit, a hopeful soar, was met by Virat's unwavering hands. Josh Hazlewood was next, adding 10 more runs before Starc was caught by Shreyas. Australia's innings ended at 199 all out. India's target: 200 runs in 50 overs.

"It's an easy win, and I hope they'll do it," Shubman said, confidence tinged with a hint of worry. Aditi reassured him, "Don't worry, Shubman, they will score well and win the match."

Nods were exchanged, and India's batting began. Ishan, stepping in for the ailing Shubman, joined Rohit. The first ball from Mitchell Starc was met with a single run. Ishan's turn at bat was short-lived, his attempt caught by Cameron Green. The score was a dismal 1 for 1.

Virat Kohli, the heart of India's batting, could only muster another run before Rohit fell to lbw by Josh Hazlewood. The score was now a nerve-wracking 2 for 2.

Shreyas Iyer joined Virat, but the duo struggled to make an impact. Shreyas' last-ditch effort was thwarted by David Warner's catch. The score was 2 for 3.

"Oh my goodness, 3 wickets and they've scored only 2 runs," Shubman exclaimed, disbelief coloring his tone. Then, KL Rahul and Virat formed a partnership, a beacon of hope, driving the score to 167. But even heroes falter, and Virat was caught out by Labuschagne.

Hardik stepped up, and together with Rahul, they steered India to victory. Shubman's joy was palpable, and Aditi, overcome with elation, embraced him in a spontaneous hug. Realizing the intimacy of the moment, she quickly stepped back, but the joy of the win lingered between them.