Chapter 27

The evening air was heavy with the scent of impending rain as Shubman trudged into the living room, his limbs leaden from the relentless cricket practice. Rohit, ever the taskmaster, had driven them hard today, and Shubman's body ached for rest. He collapsed onto the couch, letting the cushions cradle his weary head.

Shahneel, ever attentive, noticed the exhaustion etched on Shubman's face and hurried over with a glass of water. He took it gratefully, the cool liquid cascading down his throat in a single, satisfying gulp. No sooner had he set the glass down than his phone erupted into a jingle. It was Rahul Dravid on the line. "Hello sir, good evening," Shubman greeted, mustering a semblance of energy.

"Good evening, Shubman," came Dravid's voice, calm yet carrying an undercurrent of urgency. "We've made a decision. You're opening in the test series in Australia."

A pause hung in the air as Shubman processed the news. "Sir, I'm on leave," he reminded gently, the weight of his exhaustion making the words feel heavy.

"I understand, but we're in dire need of an opener. Ishan's injured," Dravid pressed.

Shubman's mind raced, searching for alternatives. "What about Yashasvi or Abhishek?" he suggested.

Dravid considered this. "A good idea, Shubman. Thank you." With that, the call ended, leaving Shubman to sink back into the couch, his head once again finding solace on the headrest.

It was then that Aditi approached, her steps light and her presence a balm to his tired soul. "Shub, it's wonderful you're here. Could you fetch me some ice-cream?" she asked, her voice tinged with the gentle lilt of a craving.

"In the freezer, right, Adi?" Shubman replied, hoping to avoid another task.

"Yes, but I long for strawberry," Aditi confessed, her eyes gleaming with the simple desire.

Shubman's heart sank. "I've just returned from practice, utterly spent. Please, make do with what we have."

But Aditi was resolute, shaking her head with a playful stubbornness. "No, it must be strawberry."

Shubman rose, a sigh escaping him. "Aditi, please understand," he pleaded.

Her response was a firm shake of the head, her craving unyielding. "No, no, no."

Frustration and fatigue clashed within Shubman. "I'm tired, Aditi. All I wish for is sleep. Please, try to understand."

Aditi's voice rose, a crescendo of need. "I WANT STRAWBERRY ICE-CREAM NOW!"

Shubman's patience frayed. "I AM TIRED. I've taken a break from matches to be with you, and yet you send me on errands. Do you grasp the frustration of missing a chance to play for our country?"

With that, he retreated to his room, leaving Aditi in tears. Shahneel wrapped her in a comforting embrace. "Calm down, Adi. He'll come around," she soothed.

Aditi's sobs continued, her heart aching. "Shubman has wounded me. I shall not speak to him," she declared, her resolve firm.

Unbeknownst to her, Shubman had overheard everything. A plan formed in his mind, a playful scheme to lighten the mood. Keart's voice called out, "Shub, dinner's ready."

Descending with airpods in place and eyes glued to his phone, Shubman joined the family at the table. Aditi's frown was fleeting, replaced by composure as Shahneel took a seat beside her. Keart began to speak, but Shubman silenced her with a gesture, mouthing "Meeting."

Dinner proceeded, and though Shubman's meeting concluded, his gaze never met Aditi's. Her pout was evident as she stood, declaring her lack of appetite before retreating to her room. Keart's words followed. "Shub, you could have indulged her with the ice-cream."

"Maa, please," Shubman implored. "Even Virat bhai scolded me. Now you too? I'll get it for her."

Dinner ended, and Shubman, with a smile, collected the plates and headed to his room. His expression turned serious as he entered, finding Aditi conversing with her belly. "Your papa is a stubborn man," she chided gently.

Shubman appeared before her, and Aditi's sheepish grin surfaced. "Instigating our child against me?" he teased.

Aditi's denial turned into an admission. "All for want of strawberry ice-cream," she confessed.

"Eat, and then we'll go for ice-cream," Shubman offered, a peace offering in his words.

Aditi's smile returned, and soon they were at the ice-cream shop. Shubman watched as she chose her flavors, his heart swelling with love. His conversation with Ishan was bittersweet, filled with longing and sacrifice. "I miss playing, but Aditi and our future come first," he confided.

Aditi, overhearing, felt tears well up. Shubman turned to find her standing there, ice-cream forgotten. "Why stand? Sit," he urged gently.

But Aditi could only hug him, her emotions spilling over. "You sacrifice so much for me," she whispered.

Shubman, taken aback, could only hold her. "What matters is us, here and now," he assured her.

They returned home, their bond strengthened. As they lay together, Shubman's arms wrapped protectively around her, their world felt complete. Aditi's smile was the last thing he saw before sleep claimed them both, a testament to the love and sacrifices that bound them together.