Chapter 22: Founding Day

Two days later, founding day had arrived. Humans and Mobians alike in Green Hills had gathered in the Park.

"Ah, at last founding day." Said Anita said taking some food out the picnic basket.

"Mrs. Radcliffe, why do you call it Founding Day?" Asked Cream who was nearby.

"It's called that to celebrate when Green Hills' was first found, Cream."

"Oh, it's very nice on having Picnics on the day of it."

"Indeed."

Tom and Maddie were on their picnic blanket with Mighty, Ozzie and Ray.

"Here you go, Mighty." Said Tom handing Mighty a sandwich. "Thanks. I'll need it for playing baseball in a minute."

Sonic had gotten a Chili dog from the barbeque. While applying the some cheese on it, he noticed Commander Walters who was in a chef's hat serving alongside the main chef.

"Walters?"
"Hello, Sonic. Good to see you. May speak wit-"

"Mr and Mrs. Radcliffe. They're over there." Said Sonic.

He walks him over to the family.
"Commander Walters?"

"Radcliffe's, Wackowski's, and animals of the Green Hills' animal Boarding home." He reaches into his coat and hands them an envelope.

"A token of appreciation from the US government for keeping quiet about recent incidents which never occurred. Well, they did but not to tell the rest of the world."

"Oh, is it a money for all of us?" Asked Katia

"Letter from the president?" Dodger added.

"Open it and you'll see."

They open it and see it's actually both.

The letter read "Dear Radcliffe's and Wachowskis and their pets, for keeping quiet about the recent events that didn't transpire, I, the President of the United States, decided to loan you money for serving your country. I also gave out loans to all Mobian survivors to get homes, food, and jobs. Thank you all. Signed the President." it was also with the seal of approval. AKA the presidential seal. "Nice! Thank you."

Walters nodded and was about to walk away. "Oh hey, I guess we can close the file on that Robotnik. Huh?" O'Malley asked.

"Yes," Commander Walters said, "We're wiping him of the government's database. Making it look like no person exists."

"But he is still out there."

"Maybe, but if he returns, we'll be glad for you and your friends protecting the world with us, Prince Sonic the Hedgehog."

Sonic smiles.

Next thing they heard was Marie at the announcement stand, "It's truly a beautiful day for founding day in Green Hills'." She began, "And also a beautiful day for my little sister, Katia to join baseball with her brand new friends."

Team Sonic and Katia rushed over to where they set up a makeshift baseball pitch.

Mighty, Ray and Sonic took role as the field catchers, Tails was the pitcher, Knuckles was the umpire. And of course Katia as the batter.

"Umm... I don't understand." Said Knuckles, "Why are you angry at the enemy ball?"

"I'm not angry, I've got to hit as hard as I can then run around the bases."

"But if your quest ends where you stand, why run at all?"

"It's just for fun, Knux." Katia concluded.

"Fun, huh..."

"Okay, Bring it on Tails." Said Katia holding the bat up and balancing on her hind legs.

"Hope your ready for my fast ball."

"Oh I will be, fox."

Tails proceeds to wind up his arm, toss the ball into the air and grab it with his twin-tails. He then proceeds to use his twin-tails to toss the ball right at Katia. Who sings the bat and successfully hit the ball. And runs at regular speed to be fair. As is Sonic.

"I got it, I got it." He fails to catch it. "I don't got it."

Mighty grabs the ball and launches it to Ray. Narrowly passing Katia.

"Come on, Katia." Angel quickly said.

Ray throws it back to Tails who throws to Knuckles to put on the home plate. But Katia makes it just in time.

"Safe."

Everyone claps.

"Good job, Knux." Katia hugs Knuckles.

"Really? But the others and I lost."

"True, but it's about fun."

"Of course, fun."

Much later when everyone was beginning to return home.
The boarding home animals where still there. Knuckles was having so much fun with Lucky, Dorothy, and Patch.

"Okay, everyone. Time to go home now. But the young ones were too busy playing.

"Alright," Maddie Interjected, "that means everyone will miss Pizza and Ice Cream."

"Pizza!" Katia eyes widened.

"Ice Cream." Added Tails, "Yeah."

Knuckles halted. "What is Ice Cream?"

"Oh, it's a great dessert. If you like fun, your gonna love it." Katia explained.

"Oh, yum. Dessert. Does it have grapes in it?"

"I don't think so, I mean; Grape is a flavour but not a common one."

Duchess sighs at the sight.
"Duchess, you okay?" Asked Tom.

"Oh, yes. Just proud of my daughter."

"Mmm hmm, she's much happier than before."

Duchess nods in agreement.

"I really like her new friends, especially the red one." Said Maddie, "He cracks me up."

"And muscular too."

"Come on, Roger Junior. Our meal Adventure awaits." Exclaimed Knuckles, carrying Junior. Tails following suit.

Sonic stands with Katia, Duchess, and O'Malley.
"Well, your mother and I happy for you, kid." O'Malley said, "Got the perfect friends to grow up with."

"Yeah."
"But she does have a lot more than that. Mr. O'Malley. She has you two as the best parents." Added Sonic.

O'Malley and Duchess smiled at eachother and turned they're attention back to their Daughter and Sonic. "Race you to the bus." Duchess said, " 1, 2, 3, go!"

She and O'Malley scampered to the mini bus.

Sonic and Katia caught up with them.

Katia sat in between her parents while Sonic sat next to Knuckles.

"Katia." Knuckles began, "I've just been told the ice cream will have sprinkles."

"Pizza and Ice Cream with Sprinkles. Welcome to your new lives, boys." Exclaimed Katia.

The bus and the Wackowski's pickup drove.

"What a perfect meal to celebrate our victory over Robotnik's defeat."

"Indeed." Agreed Jennifer, "We have a better surprise for you three."