Chapter 1

The unsuspecting drug lord strolled down the small side street, unaware that he was being watched. I focused him in the center of my scope.
         "That's him?" Ruby asked.
         "Mhm, poor swanky bastard," I sighed before pulling the trigger. His troop of cronies, bodyguards, and assorted posse started scanning the area frantically for the sniper. Two more trigger pulls and the next two honchos dropped. Then—
         "Up there!"
         A pointed finger and all eyes landed on me in my perch. "Ah, boo," I pouted before bullets started spraying the building.
         "Now what, genius?!" Ruby snapped in my hands.
         "Now the fun part. Half of big boys posse is an army of the undead,"
         "And no one mentioned that to me because...?"
         "Because I worried you wouldn't take the job if you knew,"
         "You'd be correct," she grumbled.
         "Come on, Rubes, time to work for a living," I grumbled back before dropping out the window to the cobblestone street, rolling as I landed right behind a postbox for cover, "Pistol!"
         Ruby glowed, turning from a sniper rifle into a pistol. The still living cronies had fled the scene, but the undead of course were relentless. I've killed most of them, but one continued crawling towards me, disregarding his new lack of legs. I clambered backwards firing over and over.
         "Die. Die. Die. Die!"
         Finally—FINALLY—he lay still. I dropped onto my back, panting and relieved.
         "You always have to wait until the last damn minute, don't you?" Ruby panted, lying next to me, now in her human form.
         "Makes things more exciting. 'S why you can't get enough of me."

          "To another job well done!" I clinked by glass against Ruby and two more of our friends', Black Star and Tsubaki. The sound was barely audible in the busy bar.
          "All in a days work," I added. We were sharing the stories of our missions when the rest—or one half the rest—of our party appeared, pushing her way towards us.
          "Hey, Maka," Ruby theatrically leaned back and forth, looking behind Maka, "Where's Soul?"
          She sighed, sitting down next to me, "He couldn't make it again."
          "You're kidding me!"
          "So lame!"
          After we'd all expressed our disappointment, I piped up, "You know, I don't think I've ever met him."
         "Soul?"
         "Yeah, like I'd seen him around school, but I've never talked to the guy,"
         This prompted them to launch into stories about their adventures at DWMA, at first to me, to describe Soul, but then they started piggybacking and one-upping and laughing together and I began to feel very left out. I sat there quietly, forcing laughs for longer than I would've liked, not wanting to bring down the mood. But finally I butted in in between stories,
         "I'm going to head out,"
         I waved off all their protests, hugged Ruby, and headed home. When I got back to my apartment, I put my things away, changed, then went to my bathroom, running the hot tap until the mirror fogged. I wrote on the glass with my index finger.
         42-42-564
         My reflection vanished and was replaced by my bosses skull-like face.
         "Meister Y/N, reporting in,"
         "Ah, yes, what's the report?" Lord Death said with his nasally voice. I always wondered what his true voice and face were like but maybe it was for the best that he still appeared to me like this.
         "Mission was a success. All the undead were put down but some of the still living crooks got away,"
         "That's fine. Well done. Where's Ruby?"
         "She's still celebrating," I smirk, "Was I supposed to drag her back?"
         "No, of course not," he laughs, kind of unnervingly.
         "What else you got for me?"
         "You want another mission?" he asks uncredulously.
         "Of course. You know me. I just need a couple hours shut eye and a partner," 
         "I do love your attitude, Meister Y/N. How about some meddling kiddies going missing at the old sanitarium,"
         "Again?" I sighed, turning away from the mirror and leaning on the counter, "Sounds good, what about my partner...?" I said the last part with some emphasis. I knew I had become one of Death's favorite meisters, even though I was still just a two-star and didn't quite conceal it anymore.
         "Hm," he said, "Well, I can't spare Ruby for you..."
          "That's okay. You know how versatile I am. Any other gun weapons? Or even throwing knives?"
           "What if I loan you Death Scythe?" he offered, extremely cheerful, but I whirled to face him, losing my cool.
          "D-Death Scythe? But I'm not a Scythe Meister,"
           "You were just saying how versatile you are. You'll be fine. It's just like a sword, only bigger and more top-heavy. Who knows? If you can master a melee weapon, you might be considered for three stars."
           He took my excited look as confirmation, "It's settled then. He'll be at your apartment tomorrow night. Good luck, Meister!"
           "Okay, I gue—Wait, my apartment? But—!" But I was yelling at my own reflection again.
           Theres nothing to be done now. I would be meeting the Death Scythe—Soul Eater.