chapter 5

For two weeks, they had been talking to each other by message several times a day. They always found something to talk about, sometimes about their day, sometimes about the different apartments Carina had visited for Maya. 

Today, the blonde had to come to Seattle to meet with Chief Ross and Station 19. As she had an appointment in the morning, she had arranged with Carina for a counter-visit to one of the apartments the brunette had visited, which seemed to be perfect. It had two bedrooms, a kitchen opening onto the dining room, then onto a double living room, a bathroom and a dressing room in each of the bedrooms and a dressing room, or at least a closet, in the living room. Obviously, the brunette hadn't told the captain about the apartment's major asset, but it was a three-minute walk from her home. 

While trying to get information out of her friends, Carina had «learned» that the future captain of the station was coming for a visit. She had arranged with Chief Bailey to go to the Station and act as spokesperson for the hospital to the future captain, for the program between Grey Sloan and the barracks. 

She'd been tempted to ask Maya to pick her up at the airport, but since they probably shouldn't «know each other», she'd rather not. On the other hand, she'd wanted to be at the fire station before she arrived and had even brought breakfast.

She was upstairs when all the firefighters had been invited to gather in the hangar. 
She then decided to come to the bridge. 
It was Chief Ross speaking. Captain Herrera was there too, and all the firefighters were lined up in two rows facing each other, today it was A shift. 

-"Nineteen, good morning. I'm not going to take up much of your time. I just wanted to introduce you to your future captain. She's visiting us from Los Angeles. She's visiting the barracks this morning, and since Captain Herrera is retiring at the end of the month, she'll be taking up her position at the beginning of November. Please welcome Captain Maya Bishop."

The blonde had appeared from in front of the Rig, she'd walked past Captain Herrera and from the look they'd exchanged, they'd probably already been introduced. He'd smiled at her as if to say it would be all right. He himself had told Ross that he didn't think his daughter or Jack were ready to become captains. That was one of the reasons why the Fire Chief's decision hadn't been a difficult one. 

-"Hello everyone, as Fire Chief Ross told you, my name is Maya Bishop and I'm from Los Angeles, where I've been captain for three years at Station 38. I know you're the best fire station in Seattle, and I hope I'm up to the challenge of carrying on Captain Herrera's legacy. I know he's highly respected, and I know you're a family, one I hope to become a part of. When I take up my post I'll be interviewing each of you individually to get to know you better, so there's no need to prepare. It's really just a matter of getting to know each of you and answering any questions you might have. Thanks to Captain Herrera and Chief Ross for their welcome and good luck with your shift nineteen." 

- "Nineteen!" She was astonished to the firefighters echoed. She hadn't been able to hide her smile and Carina had bitten her lip. The smile hadn't been intended for her, but she hadn't been able to help finding it beautiful and doing something to her stomach. 

The Italian was off to the side, so the blonde hadn't seen her yet. 
Pruitt Herrera had stepped forward to speak in turn. 

-"Nineteen, you know where you're assigned today. I just wanted to let you know that Captain Bishop has your best interests at heart and that she has very good references, so I hope you'll welcome her properly and give her the respect she deserves. 

She'll be staying at the barracks for a while to visit. Vic, if you agree to show her around the barracks, I'd really appreciate it. Besides..." He had turned to Maya.