Chapter 8

A few days after announcing her pregnancy, Carina had come to the barracks to work with Jack on the clinic file.

She had walked into the station's reception area and put her hand on the desk in the entrance, leaned forward and didn't see Maya in her office.

-"Are you looking for someone?" Ben asked.

- "hummmm... Jack."

- "Is it Jack you're looking for in Maya's office?"

- "No, of course not, I just wanted to... To say hello..."

- "she's in the gym"

Carina bit the inside of her lip as she pictured the sweaty captain in gym clothes.

- "and Jack?" She asked in a voice a little too deep for the conversation, letting her emotions show, and at the same time in a voice a little too absent, as if she didn't care about the answer.

-"He shouldn't be long, he's off to take some children home."

- "He's really too nice..." She made as if she were about to vomit.

- "things not going well with you and Jack?"

- "Yes, fine. I just wonder what he's waiting for... I mean... You know... With Jo... For their relationship"

- "oh okay"

-"Can I go and see Maya... Captain Bishop?"

- "please"

The brunette had gone upstairs and the blonde was lying on a weight bench. She was in a tank top and leggings. She'd leaned against the doorjamb and bit her lip as she watched the firefighter.

Maya had lifted a little cast iron, before realizing she had company.

- "you should have interrupted me."

- "It looked like queer porn," the obstetrician said, lost in thought.

- "what?!"

- "huh?!" asked the blonde in turn, straightening up and coming to her senses.

- "what did you say?"

- "you shouldn't be lifting so much weight when you're pregnant"

The captain had wiped a towel over her face before standing up and picking up her flask. She approached Carina.

-"That's not what you said".

The Italian had pinched the blonde's top at belly level and watched a drop of sweat fall down the top of her chest into her tank top.

-"It looked like the start of a lesbian porno... The super sexy, muscular blonde... It would have been a movie... A pretty girl would come and sit on you and... You'd have lifted her instead of the cast iron."

Maya had lifted her bottle and sipped to hide her embarrassment. She hadn't expected Carina to dare say what she'd just said.

"Unless I'm dreaming?"

- "why a dream?"

- "the pretty blue-eyed blonde in the gym and your sweaty breasts..."

- "Carina ... Maybe you should pinch yourself before you go any further with your words, you're not sleeping..."

- "Are you sure?" The Italian asked as she approached, sticking her body to the blonde's.

- "I'm sweating"

- "and... So?"

The captain had brought her hand up and pinched the gynecologist's arm.

"Too bad..."