30

Outside the campus was no better

It stretched to the horizon: sedans, trucks, buses, RVs, anything that could drive. Vince had even spotted a few tractors trying to flee the state as they were. Ethan had even mentioned seeing a flatbed with nothing but a giant sign on it while people were sitting on top of it, hitching a ride out of the chaos.

All kinds of crap lined the road, suitcases, boxes, even pieces of expensive furniture. There were also a lot of abandoned cars. Some had been pushed over, some were stripped, and some looked burned out. But most of the streets seemed to be crowded with people on foot, stumbling alongside the road, or running from the infected. Some were knocking on the windows of cars passing by, begging to be let in. A few women were exposing themselves, hoping it'd be their ticket for a safe ride out of the state.

"Lock the doors," Tiff instructed as Vince did as told, double-checking that his door was locked from the chaos outside.

The infected were swarming among the cars. Drivers on the outer lanes tried to veer off the road, sticking in the mud, and trapping the inner lanes. others were unfortunate enough to have their windows open as infected began reaching in, pulling people out, or at least whatever body part they could manage to rip off, or fully climbing into the cars and finishing off whatever poor family was stuck inside.

The swarm continued to grow, making its way toward the line of cars Vince and his friends were stuck in.

"We gotta figure something out here!" Liv impatiently urged the driver, staring out the back window as the infected drew closer. Cars from each side of them began to honk, trying to rush the never-ending line as the threat was becoming greater.

"Shit, shit shit-..." Ethan muttered as he stared out the back window.

"If we stay here, we're gonna die." Vince panicked, turning to his friend as Will cursed under his breath seemingly lost in thought before swerving the car to the left.

"Hang on!" he yelled, plowing through someone's yard and speeding down a different road.

"I know a shortcut." He explained as the others were busy hanging on for their lives. Others had followed the teen's idea, taking the detour as well to escape the death trap that was the main road.

Will gripped the steering wheel as he drove, knuckles white with tension as Vince scanned their surroundings. Cars abandoned mid-traffic created impassable obstacles, forcing Will to swerve onto the sidewalks, narrowly avoiding collisions with terrified pedestrians.

Smoke billowed from burning buildings, reducing visibility and casting an eerie shadow over the scene. Debris littered the roadways, and occasional screams pierced the air as the spreading chaos overcame people.